Number of Cruises: 1
Cruise Line: Norwegian
Ship: Norwegian Spirit
Sailing Date: July 15th, 2007
Norwegian Cruise Lines
Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review
First of all, I’d like to mention that this is my first ever “real cruise”. My wife and I have traveled but not on a cruise like this. What better time to do it? I joined my college classmates and their families to celebrate a sort of “ 20th year class reunion” aboard this ship. There were 33 people in our group, 12 kids, age ranging from 7, to 18 and 21 adults.
July 15, 2007, Sunday, a perfect departure day. Sunny, calm, clear skies. At 11: 15 am, we arrived at the Port Authority around 11:35 and took a cab straight to the “Pier” where the Spirit was waiting. We met some members of our group already there, checked in our luggage and waited for the actual embarkation process. I actually got worried a little bit w/ our friend from Chicago when she told me she’s still there boarding her flight to NYC. But seasoned “ cruiser” as she is, she made it just in time. Anyway, all 33 of us made it to the Spirit as it left the port on time at 4 pm, made her way passed Liberty, went under the Verrazano Bridge and to the Atlantic Ocean.
1. Restaurants: we ate at Raffles Buffet, Blue Lagoon, Fine
Dining like Windows, Garden, Le Bistro, La Trattoria and Shogun: I say 9, out
of 10. They also had “ Chocoholic Festival”, that was “sweet “.
2.On board amenities like Tivoli adult Pool, the kiddy mini water park, Jacuzzis, were a hit. My son enjoyed them very much.
3. Shows: the Hypnotist show, juggler, Broadway like shows at the Stardust were very good.
4. Clubs /lounges/bars: The Galaxy, Champagne Charlie and Henry’s pub were cool. We had fun w/ the Bingo , 1 friend won. Good music . 9/10.
5.I used their gym, too ( after those calorie filled dinners), it was small but good equipment , nice to jog also in the upper deck , open air. 9/10.
6. Went to their Casino once ( I’m not a roller, unfortunately) .Smoking was allowed there, well…
7. Kiddy stuff: I guess the kids had fun at the pool, video arcade, card room, they certainly made numerous trips to the Blue Lagoon, ‘not sure if the teens tried the “celebrity teen disco”.
8. Karaoke: I’m going give this perfect 10. We had a blast .
9. Port Canaveral: Nice. Coco Beach, luke-warm water, did a little shopping ( my son had a new Heely’s ) 8/10.
10. Nassau , Bahamas, enjoyed the snorkeling, my son saw a real starfish and had picture taken. Snorkeling I give 9/10 and the place 8/10.
11. Private island: clear, pristine water good for relaxation, lounging, snorkeling, night swimming , parasailing ( 2 of the kids tried it, I guess ) , there’s even a hammock in the island . 9 almost 10 for me.
12. The on sea “ voyage - you’ll feel the ship sway the more when you’re in the cabin, we brought our son to the medical center once for Dramamine. I’m giving 8/10 for this.
13. The ship's crew: a perfect 10 for them. All the crew specially the waiters/waitresses went all their way to accommodate and cater to all our needs.
14. The Cabins: 9/10. My son liked those animal shaped towels every night when we go back to the cabin. The bathrooms are clean, beds newly made, everything nice and clean.
15. Others: crew photographers: they’re all over the place and follow you like paparazzi except when you’re back to your cabin of course. 7/10 because they’re quite pricey but we still like it, we had our first portrait taken as family.
16. The arrival back to NYC on July 21, 2007, Saturday @ 10 am was a breeze . I’ll give 10 to both embarkation and debarkation.
Am I going to cruise w/ NCL again? Absolutely, the pluses exceeds the setbacks.