Find a Cruise

David Ellard's 50th Birthday Trip February 2nd to March 9th, 1998(35 days)Sunday, March 1, 1998Think I have caught a cold even after so much care taken to avoid contact and washing hands manytimes each day. Checked out our hotel room and sat in the lobby


Occupation:NOT FOUND

Number of Cruises: NOT FOUND

Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean

Ship: Enchantment of the Seas

Sailing Date: NOT FOUND

Itinerary: NOT FOUND

David Ellard's 50th Birthday Trip

February 2nd to March 9th, 1998
(35 days)

Sunday, March 1, 1998
Think I have caught a cold even after so much care taken to avoid contact and washing hands many times each day. Checked out of our hotel room and sat in the lobby waiting until time to board Enchantment of the Seas cruise ship. Heavy rain for most of the day. Forecast is for this storm front to pass late tomorrow. It is hot and very humid. Got to the ship early and into our cabin. We did not have to wait for our luggage to show up because we had them with us. Unpacked and organized our belongings. Getting to be experts at this. There was 3 bottles of wine waiting for us. With the bottles we brought from the last ship, now the counter is full. This ship is less than 1 year old. The ship's Hostess called us to welcome us aboard. She had been informed of our arrival. Changed our dining room table assignment to a round table. Went to the mandatory muster and lifeboat drill. The ship left port about 5:00 pm.

Monday, March 2, 1998
Went up early to the pool area to get coffee and read my book. This is the only place where coffee is available unless you order room service. Brought Pam breakfast back to the cabin. Arrived at Key West, Florida harbor, but could not dock due to severe high winds and seas. It was cloudy and cool until later in the afternoon. Gave up and bought some Sudafed and Tylenol. Did my 10 fast walk laps around the bridge deck after lunch. The dress shirts I sent out for cleaning and pressing arrived back. Now have beam seas now that the ship has altered course. Funny watching people try to walk in a straight line. Bought Pam one of the ship's logo robe. Pam went with a couple from our dining room table to see Norm Crosby perform while I went to play slots. Been reading about El Nina causing odd changes in weather. Almost finished with another book.

Tuesday, March 3, 1998
Arrived at Cozumel, Mexico to another cool and windy morning. Weather better in the afternoon and went to pool area to sit in the sun for a while. Amusing to watch people immediately head for the pool area to sit in the sun to get a tan. Some appear as if they have not been in the sun for years and looked bleached out.
Took a cab to the "downtown" area that is totally aimed at selling to the tourists. Now have 4 cruise ships at the dock and the area is packed with people. Came back to the ship and did my laps. Probably should have waited another day or two until feeling better. Was physically exhausted and weak from the cold I caught. They are building new piers for more cruise ships. The methods they use are amusing and the lack of construction equipment normally seen at home makes you wonder how well the docks are built.

Wednesday, March 4, 1998
At sea all day with heavy seas enroute to Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Overcast skies and humid. Rain squalls all day long. Repeaters Party tonight. Toured the bridge. Very high tech systems and computers operate the ship. Played slots for a few hours and broke even. Cheap entertainment. Had to take more Sudafed to clear up congestion and have developed bad cough. Damn. Not feeling well, but this will pass. Skipped lunch. Captain of this ship has little personality, just all business. Not many people around the pool areas because of the weather. Not sure where they all are at. Many hundreds of people at the Repeater's Party that have done at least one cruise with RCCL.

Thursday, March 5, 1998
Arrived at Ocho Rios, Jamaica to a hot and humid morning. One of the Carnival cruise ships is here at the dock. Ate a small breakfast. Seas were much calmer during the night. Rain showers while doing my 10 laps that felt good. Think I got dehydrated yesterday. Have read several books so far. The ship was empty during the day while passengers were onshore shopping or doing tours. All of the shops on the ship and the casino were closed while in port. Feeling much better later in the day. Even danced with Pam in the Centrum lobby after dinner. Been noticing that people take as much food as their plate can hold and only eat a small portion of it. Lots of passengers stay up late drinking and partying and get up early the next morning to go on an early tour. I could not keep this pace up for one day.

Friday, March 6, 1998
Arrived at Georgetown, Grand Cayman. Dinner tonight is formal. Had a bad night with chills and coughing. Damn. Slept in until 8:30 am. Ship is at anchor in the harbor. The Celebrity cruise ship MELODY is also here. Hot and humid here. Sweating while having my morning coffee. Took the tender to shore and went on a semi-submersible sub out to a shipwreck and coral reefs. Seas rough and hard time off loading people. This tour was very interesting to view the many types of colorful fishes that exist in the coral reefs rather than seeing them in a fish tank. One thing I have suggested on the comment cards is to have gourmet coffee such as Starbucks. The coffee that I get up at the pool area is terrible. To hot out to do my laps without getting heat stroke. This is a very clean place compared to the normal poverty and litter we have seen before on other islands. The downtown has what appears to be only banks, other financial businesses, and insurance companies. Got Pam a rose at dinner. Played slots after dinner and Pam won. Seems to be an odd group of people on this cruise and many fat people.

Saturday, March 7, 1998
At sea today, heading north back to Miami. This is the last night of the cruise. Played slots and bingo today. All during the cruise, some portions of each game's revenue are put aside for a Grand Bingo Game. It was worth $11,000 and some one won it all in cash. Packed our luggage later in the day to put out side our cabin in the late evening. Got money to put in the tip envelopes. Skipped lunch, trying to curtail eating. Bought some tee-shirts. Rain in the forecast for late today or tonight. Traded 2 bottles of our wine package that was left over for 2 bottles that had the ship's logo on it at no charge. We wanted to take them home.

Sunday, March 8, 1998
Slept well last night. Arrived in Miami early. Many people in long pants and sweaters even though it is 70 some odd degrees here, but cold where they live. Estimate 90 percent of the passengers are flying directly home today. We were the last group to be called to leave the ship and did not have to meet a flight today. Took a taxi to the hotel. Filled out the comment card for Intercontinental Hotel representing the days we stayed at the hotel during this trip in-between cruises. Did not give them much praise. Found out later the hotel was up for sale. Had lunch at the Palm Court restaurant. Called Ryan and Tom Schultz. Took a nap in the afternoon. Had to get a strap to put around one suitcase that one lock had broken open. Walked along the waterfront and went to the Bay Side Mall for dinner. A very pretty and warm night. Our last night in Miami.

Monday, March 9, 1998
Checked out of our hotel room and took a taxi to the airport. Observed people just arriving at the hotel for their cruise to start tomorrow. Heavy rain and thunder in the morning. Bet the seas will be rough tomorrow. Long flight to Cincinnati to change planes and landed in a snowstorm. The next flight left on time and we arrived in Seattle.

Was this review helpful?

Yes No Email this review to a friend

Ask questions and get advice from other cruisers on our popular discussion board,