Find a Cruise

D. Wheatley

Age: 46


Number of Cruises: 2

Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean

Ship: Grandeur of the Seas

Sailing Date: September 10th, 2006

Itinerary: Western Caribbean

We were scheduled to leave on September 10, 2006 for Bermuda on a 5-day cruise, but because of a hurricane we were informed two days prior to sailing that we would be visiting Nassau. Having no desire to go there, we were offered a $100 shipboard credit if we went, or a 75% discount of a future cruise if we cancelled.

Understanding that we all have no control over the weather, we were put in a very difficult position when to my surprise I received a telephone call 24 hours prior to leaving, that because of a rudder problem, we had to choose between canceling the cruise and receive a 125% credit towards a future cruise to be used within one year, or go (delayed) to nowhere with a 50% refund and 25% off a future cruise to be used within one year.

We have plans for a vacation in May 07, and we’re booked on a transatlantic in October. There is no way we would be able to book another cruise within the next year, so we elected to go (between a rock and a hard place).

We were told that we would depart at midnight on Monday. To me that is 1 minute past 11:59 P.M. Sunday evening. We boarded the ship at 5:00 P.M. on Sunday, and we didn’t even leave Baltimore until 4:00 A.M. on Tuesday. So, our 5-day cruise turned into a 3-day to no where, right into the swells and rain of the Atlantic. People were sick all over the ship, and many events were cancelled, and very little hot water...Cold showers are great (right!).

However, we were pleasantly surprised by the service received onboard; the crew did indeed attempt to do everything possible to make everyone happy, with the limited services available

Was this review helpful?

Yes No Email this review to a friend

Ask questions and get advice from other cruisers on our popular discussion board,