Find a Cruise

Brian Oldroyd

Age: 29


Number of Cruises: 2

Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean

Ship: Radiance of the Seas

Sailing Date: March 25th, 2007

Itinerary: Western Caribbean

Our trip was amazing and very relaxing. We had beautiful weather 80 to 85 degrees and no rain! I guess they said it rained almost the whole week before us, you never know with the Caribbean. It was windy, but very humid. The Radiance ship was beautiful with lots of dark woods, water falls and more. The 2 level dinning rooms were so pretty with water falls by the staircase. It had a fun 9 hole miniature golf course. We loved the pool deck area and a separate solarium pool that had a safari atmosphere. Kids pool area had a cute water slide… this ship was just so much fun!

At 10am we took a shuttle to the ship and boarded the Radiance of The Seas Royal Caribbean for our 6 night Cruise to the Caribbean. We were on at 11:30am and toured the ship and took photos while the ship was empty and then at 1pm we were able to go find our room. We were on deck 7 room 7648… We had a gorgeous balcony room and it was the best experience. Each night we left the screen open and listened to the ocean and woke up looking at the beautiful ocean. We ate a few times on our balcony, but watching the sunset in private was very romantic. The room was absolutely stunning, it was a queen bed, no 2 bed joined together. It had a fridge, a nice size bathroom and we felt like we had so much room - it was great.

So after hanging out in our room for a bit we got into our swim suites and headed to deck 11 to lay out and enjoy some daiquiris in the hot sun. Cruise compass said 81 degrees. We were up at the pool deck for a good 4 hours and enjoyed the set sail party at 5pm and watched us leave port and head into the Atlantic Ocean. We then went back to the room watched some more from the balcony and then showered and got ready for the welcome aboard show at 7:30pm. We loved our Cruise Director Kiron Buffery and we enjoyed the singers and dancers and Orchestra. We went to 2nd seating dinner at 8:30pm, which we had chosen. We personally liked the 2nd seating better we never once felt rushed to get to dinner. At some ports we didn’t even get back onto the ship until 7 so having 2nd seating we were able to stay out on the Island longer.

Our cruise to the Bahamas we had 1st seating at 6, but we felt rushed at times. We loved our table, we sat at table 461. By the end of the cruise we all felt like such good friends. For dinner our first night Brian started with the chicken noodle soup and I had the Tuscan Basil Tomato soup. Main course Brian had the Slow Roasted Prim Rib with seasoned vegetables and a baked potato and I had the Orange chicken with seasoned vegetables with also a baked potato. Ending with us both having the apple alamode with vanilla ice cream for desert. After dinner we went to the Colony Club for the 11:00 to midnight Karaoke. We really enjoyed rocking out and dancing it was so fun. After Karaoke we went back to our room and sat on the balcony for awhile and enjoyed listening and watching the waves.

Day 2 Key West, Florida arrived at 7am 80 degrees. We were up at Windjammer for breakfast at 7:30 and off the ship at 9pm. We loved Key West it was our favorite port of call. There weren’t too many other ships docked so it wasn’t too crowded. We enjoyed the shopping there the most as well. First we walked to the shops area and got some things for the kids and our selves and then enjoyed the scenes of ship wrecks, towers and more. We went to the Aquariums which were only $30.00 for the both of us and we saw all kinds of cool things. We enjoyed the feeding to the turtles and sharks and we pet stingrays. The tour guide came to each of us to touch the baby shark. It felt like sand paper. We loved it at the aquariums. We strolled down Duval Street and stopped at Hard Rock Cafe and got traditional shot glasses and shirts for the kids and our selves. We then made a stop at a huge tourist spot called Sloppy Jo’s Bar and Grill and enjoyed it there for a bit and got some souvenirs there as well. We walked a lot, but we never felt crowded or bord. We were back on the ship at 1:30pm and watched us sail away from Key West at 2pm. We went up to Sea View Café which replaces Johnny Rockets. We loved Sea View Cafe, liked it better then Johnny Rockets actually. I always had the chicken strips and Onion Rings or a Caesar salad or the chips and chili and Brian usually had the juicy hamburger and fry’s or onion rings. At Johnny Rockets you have to pay 3.95 per person and pay extra for shakes but at Sea View café it’s all free included and tons of deserts as well to choose from. It tasted yummy!

Day 3 Cozumel, Mexico 85 degrees arrived at 11:00am. We didn’t get to Mexico until 11 today so it was nice to get up and eat in the main dinning room for breakfast today. We loved eating breakfast in the main dinning room last cruise we ate at Windjammer every morning and never tried the main dinning breakfast, ooh way better then Windjammer so this cruise we only had windjammer 2 times. Windjammer is good with lots of selection, but the main dinning room was a little fancier. We watched us arrive in Cozumel Mexico and went up to the very front of the ship; we parked side by side to Royal Caribbean’s Freedom of The Seas, which is their largest ship. It was a lot of fun to see the ship and compare a bit. At 11:00am we went down to deck 2 to get off the ship we went to some shops right at the port area.

We found a cab and headed to Chankanaab Park. We checked into our excursion and they said we didn’t need to meet for another 2 hours so we enjoyed walking around the park and seeing the iguanas and we walked up and down the beach and laid out in the sun. We went to our Royal swim with Dolphins excursion which we booked through shore trips at 1pm. This was the best thing we’ve done yet! We had to watch a short video and then we got into the water with 2 dolphins we were in a group of 8 and we stood in a straight line and the dolphin came right up to us so we could pet him and her. They did some tricks then bowed and waived to us for “your welcome” One by one we then got to do the Tarsal drag whom we hold onto there fins and they pull us… a lot of fun. After that we one by one held the dolphins in the water going over our arms. We then one by one did the foot push. Which they come underneath you, grab your legs and push you up into the air. That was amazing. Then the dolphin came up to us one by one and gave us a hug and a kiss. That was so sweet. This was so fun and something I’d always wanted to do along with Brian. We had a blast. After our excursion we took a cab over to Hard Rock Café got our traditional souvenirs and shared a plate of nachos. After Hard Rock we headed back to the ship and were on the ship at 5:30pm We had a perfect view of the Freedom of The Seas ship from our balcony and were having conversations with people on their balconies. We got to waive good bye and watch them leave port right before we left which was cool watching. We left port at 6pm and said good bye to Cozumel, Mexico.

Day 4 Grand Cayman 86 degrees arrived 11:00am. We again ate breakfast in the main dinning room. We tendered in Grand Cayman and so we had to get a tender ticket and couldn’t get off the ship until they called our name. As we waited we went to deck 13 and played miniature golf. We went to the solarium and relaxed in the pool for a bit and Brian had a hot dog. Then at 12:30 they called our # so we went to deck 2 to get off the ship. We shopped right by port for a bit then went and found the post office and sent a post card out. We then went to Hard Rock Café, we are Hard Rock fans, visit them everywhere! After Hard Rock we got a cab and went to 7 Mile Beach. We laid out got some daiquiri’s and rented a jet ski! The Jet Ski cost 80.00 for 30mins, but the guy was laid back we had it out for like a hour and a half he didn’t charge us extra. That was beautiful jet skiing in the turquoise blue clear waters along 7 mile beach. We had a blast doing that. Swam in the beach I found some sea shells for the kids and then we walked all they down 7 mile beach back to the port. That walk was gorgeous and I got some really pretty pictures, but it took us an hour and a half. The exercise was very nice. We took the tender back to the ship at 6:30. \

Day 5 Montego Bay, Jamaica 85 degrees arrived at 8:00am. We ate breakfast up in the Windjammer this morning. We got off the ship at 8:45am and went to the meeting area for our excursion. We did the cater man sail and snorkel excursion and it lasted 4 hours. It started at taking us to a private beach where we relaxed at the beach for 40mins then we sat sail on a hug sail boat. They took us way out where the water was really deep and went over really crazy high waives. We were falling all over the place and laughing and getting soaking wet. We then stopped at a clear turquoise area and snorkeled for awhile and poor Brian got stung by a jelly fish. It hurt him pretty good and his arm had red sting marks all around. We got back on the sail and sailed over to the tourist spot Margarita Ville. It was a lot of fun there it had a big slide that landed in the ocean. We stayed there for about 40mins then sailed again to over by the cruise ship and I got some good shots of our ship Radiance. After our excursion we bought the kids some Jamaican shirts we went back to our ship at 3pm and went to Sea View Café for a late lunch to hold us until dinner. We had formal portraits and then went to the show which was called “Piano Man” a tribute to the music of Elton John, Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder and Barry Manilow. T

Day 6 “At Sea”, 78 degrees. We slept in until 8am I called and ordered room service and hopped in the shower and in 20mins it was delivered. We enjoyed eating breakfast on our balcony this morning. After breakfast we went up to the pool deck had daiquiris. At 11:00 I went and worked out in the gym until 12:30 and then I met Brian down on deck 5 in the Dinning room for lunch. The main dinning room was closed for lunch each day that we were at a port, they offer main dinning room for lunch on “Sea Days”. After lunch we headed up to deck 13 and Brian climbed the rock wall up to the top while I watched enjoying the sun. We then went over to the pool deck for the sexy leg’s competition which was a lot of fun. After that we went to the photo shop and bought our formal portraits and some of our port of call pictures and the DVD. Then we went to the gift shop one last time and bought the kids a stuff animal version on the towels they make into animals. After we got done doing that we went to deck 5 and 6 in the Aurora Theater at 4:00 and for 35.00 per person we played bingo for an hour.

Day 7 Departure… we had the tag color of green 2 and had a lot of time so we got ready and out of our cabin at 8:15am then we went to The Dinning room for breakfast one last time. It was a really good breakfast and filled us up. We hang out in there for awhile then went up to the pool deck and enjoyed being in the sun until they called our departure tag color. We were off the ship at 10:30am found a shuttle to the airport checked out bags in and in the airplane by 1:30pm.

We had a wonderful trip, everything was so much fun and I loved my time with my husband. We look forward to our next get away and will choose Royal Caribbean again. I will defiantly sail on Radiance again in the future.

Happy cruising!

Was this review helpful?

Yes No Email this review to a friend

Ask questions and get advice from other cruisers on our popular discussion board,