Thread: Gem Questions
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 08:22 AM

I've been reading some reviews of the Gem on another site and as usual, there are some rave reviews, some dubbing the cruise so-so, and others saying it's terrible (including on review that called the Gem "the ship from hell.")

I know by now to take a lot of reviews with a grain of salt, but based on some of the comments made, I have some questions.

One person said they had to get up at like 6:30 every morning to call in to make reservations for that night's dinner, and even then, sometimes they couldn't get through right away or had to make the reservation for late, like 9 pm. Is that true? This is one of my main concerns, as I want to relax - I don't want to have to worry about whether I'm going to be able to get reservations. Also, I like to eat sometime between 6 and 7 (on "traditional cruises" we always do first seating)... I don't want to wait until late to eat.

People also said that the Gem nickeled and dimed them to death and that EVERYTHING seemed to cost extra, including coffee. Is this true?

What other things had extra costs attached?

We're planning to book soon for next March, so I want to make sure I'm well-informed before we do!

Thanks in advance!

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005