View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:45 AM

Hi, Christy! I've worked for Carnival for 3 years and 3 ships that I worked on went to Cozumel, so you can say I am very experienced there. This, in my off time, is what we did. We, meaning me and fellow crew members, would do just a little window shopping just off the pier. Please remember that there a few other piers that other ships dock, so where I'm about to explain, it might be different to where you might dock. You probably won't be the only ship in that day. Anyway, after a little window shopping we would make our way to the taxis. Once we are all in the cab, we tell the driver 'La Choza, por favor!' La Choza, pronounced Cho'-za, is a fantastic restaurant located downtown. Cab ride- about $8 (incl. everyone. Might be different for tourists, however). Your cab will take you through downtown Cozumel where you will view loads of shopping, and not too expensive either. Many jewelry shops. You will also notice a lot of the rebuilding process going on due to the results of the hurricane. Many of the places are going up really fast, i.e. Fat Tuesdays, a restaurant located right off the pier. It was literally wiped off the map and in just a matter of 2 months, it was rebuilt even better than it was before. Remember, the people of Cozumel rely greatly on tourism for their income. More about Fat Tuesdays Later. Once you reach La Choza, get ready for some great Mexican food. I won't get deep into it, but the guacamole and chips are excellent, along with the fajitas. After eats and a Dos Equis or 2 (Mexican beer; perhaps you'll enjoy the margaritas) it's off to the mini golf course. It's within walking distance. Just ask for directions. Most people speak English for your convienience. Once arriving there, you'll be given walkie-talkies where you'll be able to order drinks from the 'clubhouse' and some nice Mexican waiter will deliver to you at any hole. Also, make sure you have a camera with you because you will be within arms length of some iguanas that like to cross your path while you are trying to putt. Don't worry, they won't harm you. They are pretty big, though. Once we were finished mini golf, we would head right on over to Fat Tuesdays, because we usually only had another hour or 2 before reboarding. The food is ok for the price. The view is outstanding because it's right on the water. If it's a beach you want to go to instead of mini golf, then head over to Paradise Island beach. Again, the cabbie will know where to take you and it's not so expensive. It's a pleasant family beach with food and beverage available. I think your children will enjoy themselves at any of these locations I have described, though Fat Tuesdays is loaded with partyers. There are lots more places to go, but this is where we went most of the time. You might here others talk about 'Senor Frogs' or 'Carlos and Charlies', but not really suitable for children. Over 21, you know what I mean? So, I hope I've made this helpful and informative. I hope you have a great time! We sure did!! P.s. Always wear your sunblock! That Mexican sun is hot!