View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 AM

We have dinner once a month with some friends. Play a few games tell a few lies ect. I talked to our friend Rob about this. He is a lawyer (Real Estate). He was surprised that Princess would admit that one of their employees took the laptop. According to him that makes a big difference.
Your post does not say if it was a crew member assigned to your room, but that really does not matter. In your cabin one as the assumed right of security. Princess is 100% wrong and liable. With that said their is little you can do.
The best thing you can do is send a certified letter to Princess. Go over the chain of events. Then tell them what you would like them to do. If you do not over demand you might be surprised what you get.
Hiring a lawyer will cost you a lot of money with very little return. Trying to find a News Reporter wanting to air you case will be almost impossible, unless they are doing a related report.
Messaging on all the boards, or putting up a You Tube video might open yourself to legal action. Can you prove the crew member took it? Did they put anything in writing or just tell you. If nothing is in writing, it is your word against theirs.
I would fire off a well worded letter. It would not hurt to talk about a few of the good highlights of the cruise that you did enjoy.
Over the years I have had our house broken into, and a car stolen. I know the feeling you must have. I hope you can get some comfort knowing they caught the guy. They never caught the person who broken into our house.
I take a lot of photos while on vacation. All the images are put on my laptop. I also carry a PSD (portable storage device). It is nothing more than a small hard drive. I have never been worried about thief. I worry about hard drive failure, accidental lose. I always carry the drive in a different case that my laptop or camera gear.
Another thing I do is keep a list of serial and model numbers, plus a photo of my gear. I use gmail, one of its features is Google docs. I have all the information logged in there. All you have to do is find a place to log on to the net and you can give the police, insurance or who ever a complete list and images of the gear. I always make sure I have registered the product, that way the Maker also has a record of who owns it. In other words I leave a paper trail back to me.