View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 AM

I had recently wrote some tips about Ephesus on another thread but its probably good to repeat myself. We have visited Kusadasi 4 times and been to Epehsus on three ocassions. It is among the best ruins in the world (we think its much more interesting then Pompeii) and we have done a visit on our own, with a cruise line tour, and with a private tour. Although we generally do not like tours, we strongly recommend that any first-time visitor arrange for a private tour to Ephesus...and that tour should include a visit to the Terrace Houses. The Terrace Houses are within the ruins, but have an additional entrance free and large groups are not permitted to enter as a group...hence most cruise line tours do not include this on their tour. My personal recommendation is to arrange, in advance, with EKOL (you can google their web site) to have a private guide. I specifically recommend Ekol because they have been in business for a long time and we know they are a reputable company that uses only qualified guides. They will meet you at the ship, you will have a van with a driver plus you will get a professional guide. When you reserve you need to specify that you want to include the Terrace Houses. To be blunt, going to Ephesus without seeing the Terrace Houses is a crime! There are some other decent tour companies in Kusadasi but we do not have personal experience with these other companies (one popular company called Hello Ephesus just went out of business). We continue to be shocked that the cruise line tours do not make arrangements to see this important and fascinating part of the ruins. One professional guide told us that they exclude the Terrace Houses so they have more time to take cruise passengers to the phony jewelry factory or pottery factory where the tour company gets a nice kick-back from sales.

Hank