View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 04:44 PM

Hi All:

Chuck I covered the limo...thanks for your offer though. Coworker had a connection that got me an awesome deal. They're even going to throw in a couple of extras (like stretch for the price of town car) and champagne since I told them it was a surprise.

Anyway, regarding the Simplon-Orient...OMG am I jealous! Loved your "Christie" reference!

Okay, now I just have to pontificate for a second here so please everyone bear with me. I just want to point out that I think it's getting really nuts here about the alcohol "problem". I know I started this topic and my subject says it all but let me just give you a point of reference that may help you all rethink bothering with smuggling.

Recently a friend came to town and Paul and I were only able to visit with him for a few hours. He'd never been to the Philly area and since he was in the city we wound up going to Hard Rock Cafe in center city. While we were waiting for a table we went to the bar. For those of you familiar with our famous local brew, Yuengling Lager, you'll get this. Paul and I love Yuengling and we wanted to show it off to our friend. Imagine my surprise when after ordering three (3!) drafts the bill came to $21.00! $7.00 each!

The point I'm trying to make here is that you're not paying for the booze; you're paying for the venue. As we all know, cruise lines have changed a lot in recent years and one of the ways they are able to offer cruises so cheaply is because of the value added items you buy on board. Now, I'm about as anti-corporate as anyone can get but I also believe in this one simple truth. Businesses are in business to make money. Period. There is no altruism here; you're not cruising around for nothing. Cut their shareholders some slack...buy a drink on board!

Okay, that last bit was a bit sarcastic even for me, but you get the idea.

Okay, I'm done!

BTW, all of my subterfuge to keep Paul out of the loop about the limo is working beautifully! He won't catch on at all. The only snag I ran into was that I had to get a friend put it on his credit card so Paul wouldn't see the charge on ours. That was easy enough.

Anyway all, forgive my [typical] verbosity but I just needed to get that [the alcohol issue] off my chest!

Have a great one!

Read and post cruise reviews