View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 08:27 PM

Mummyez, I just looked at your itinerary and its really looks like fun. Sorrento is actually not a very common port since, as far as I know, ships must use tenders. Most cruise lines go to Naples. Sorrento is actually more convenient for several reasons, so I am jealous. If you want to only go to Capri, you can easily take the jet boat from Sorrento to Capri for about 12 Euros. I belive those boats run about one per hour and my assumption (I cannot be 100% sure about this) is that you will tender into the same pier (or very close) that is used by the jet boats (we have seen other ships in port using this pier). Its a pretty short ride from Sorrento to Capri (about 20 min). If you want to go to Pompeii, you can simply take the train (its the Circumvesuviania Line that runs from Sorrento to Naples) and get off at the station called Pompeii Scavi (not Pompeii). The ruins are a stone's throw from the train station and that train would take about 20 min. I believe the same train line can also get you to Herculanium (we have only gone there by rental car). Another option is to travel the Amalfi drive and stop at wonderful places such as Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello. Its possible to do this very cheaply by taking the SITA public bus which runs along this route,,,but those buses only run about once per 45 min and they can be standing room only. Personally, we like to rent a car and drive...but we are pretty familiar with the region and used to Italian drivers . Here is my advice. If you are going to Capri there is no reason to take an excursion. Its also pretty easy to do Pompeii on your own (admission is 10 euros per person) and either join a tour at the entrance (usually about 10 more euros) or rent a self audio tour. As much as I hate tours, I think its good to have a guide at Pompeii because they can help bring the place alive (assuming you get a good guide). If you want to do the Amalfi Drive, I would suggest you either take the cruise excursion or arrange for a private guide (most do this through the internet). As to Sorrento, you can do this on your own....and get plenty of local info at one of the information kiosks or tourist office. Keep in mind that some of the stores in Sorrento may not be open on Monday morning (which means they would not open until late afternoon). Monday is a strange day in Italy with many things closed...so keep this in mind when doing pre-trip homework. Also keep in mind that most Italian stores close from about 1 -4 PM for their lunch (life is really good). On Capri, the touristy shops do stay open, but some of the exclusive boutiques close for a few hours in the afternoon. In May, we spotted a pair of carfully torn jeans in a Capri boutique for only 600 euros!

Hank

Hank