Thread: St Thomas
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 11:22 AM

I believe it's different, but it's been a while since I've done it. Blackbeard's was a tourist trap, but had good views and a good drink. Red Hook is the dock on the northeast corner of the island where the ferry goes. They do have a ferry from Charolette Amalie, but it doesn't run as often as Red Hook's ferry. The locals use Red Hook to catch the ferry to out islands. I believe Red Hook is every hour and it takes a little less time. Sapphire Beach is up by Red Hook. Trunk Bay is in St. Johns, shop in St. Thomas, prices are high in St. Johns. Trunk Bay is a pristine white beach, rated one of the top 10 beaches in the world. The water is crystal clear, warm and calm (unless there's a storm). There's a self-guided snorkel trail about 50 yards off the shore. There's a snack bar, lockers, a couple of shops, snorkeling gear rental, showers, and shade. Google Trunk Bay pictures, it is absolutely beautiful. Megan's Bay is a really nice beach, with all the ammenities, but definitely not Trunk Bay. You can google Magen's Bay pictures, too. St. Thomas is a great island, but it's not like it was 30 years ago. It's become pretty "Americanized". I was a teenager the first time I went to St. Thomas, it was just like I pictured a Caribbean Paradise. It's grown a lot since then, but it's still a great island. I'll bet you'll be back to St. Thomas, but if you've not been there, explore that island first. There's always another time for St. Johns. We went to Coki when we were there in January. The water was pretty rough, so the snorkeling wasn't too good. The body surfing was a blast, though. One of the staff on our last cruise mentioned something about Pineapple Beach. I haven't been there, but thought we'd try it this December. Enjoy St. Thomas, they have some really good prices there.