View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pineapple:

Hi, I would like to know regarding the Vatican, if we can get off train from Civitaveccha (cruise Port) at the San Pietro Stop and save time getting to Vatican.It looks closer on map.
Yes

Also, what would be the best thing to do re: tour of Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel? If you just buy a ticket, can you rent headphones for commentary or do we need to buy tour tickets and have a guide explain everything?

You can rent an audio guide and take the museum at your own pace. However, if you do this you will need to return them to the entrance as you leave rather than take the 'short cut' straight into St. Peter's. (You can also download a Rick Steves tour from the web.)

Are the tickets timed?
No.

One tour I saw said it left at 9:00 a.m. after Nov 1. It will be hard to get from the ship to the tour meeting place by 9:00 a.m.

It will.
The only problem is the museum will probably be very busy in the mornings and you could wait a long time in line to get in. Another option is to book an entry with a co-ordinated group..no tour.. on the link I've put below. You may find the 10.30 slot is available on your date. There is a mark up on these tickets, you just meet up with the group at the given time and they take you in. It saves waiting in the long lines.

If this is answered elsewhere, I apologize, but am getting overload trying to figure all this out. Thanks for any guidance
If there is anything else you need to know I'll try to help.

Link for group entry here.

http://www.rome-museum.com/vatican2ind.php