View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MV Augustus:

Mr. Kloster never thought that the SS Norway would be neglected throughout the years until the boiler room explosion. Probably regrets not doing a full engine conversion to diesel back in 1984 or 1985, like the QE2.

The NCL that he created would never had sent the SS Norway to the scrapyard. Nor would they had neglect the ship and its upkeep.

I know exactly how he feels. The NCL of today is not NCL. It's Star Cruises of America.
Hi John,

I have to strongly disagree with you regarding the maintenance and upkeep of the Norway during the years after Kloster left the company. During the 80's and 90's huge sums were spent on her, and with regards to her engineers and their skill they were top notch. Many of them had been on the Norway since she was taken over by NCL, and most of them knew her every single nut and bolt.

When it comes to the report after the boiler explosion I know it states some faults regarding maintenance and inspection of the boiler system. Well - it's always nice to be the one who writes the report after an accident - to be the one who in lieu of all events can easily point out what went wrong. That's the privilege of the report.

All I know is that the funding for the Norway during her entire time was never inadequate, and she had no more "down time" than any other cruise ship.

The Norway was indeed never neglected, and the ongoing and neverending maintenance was kept up to date all the way until she left Bremerhaven in 2005.

Read and post cruise reviews