View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 11:19 AM

We have our own equipment as well, however, most excursions include the snorkel equipment. We've done 2 really great sail/snorkels in Tortola. Both went to the Norman Island area, really nice snorkeling. We booked it through the ship, so I can't help you on private tour companies. We also made a deal with one of the local cab drivers to take us around the island. He gave us a 2 hour tour for $20. He took us up to a restaurant that over looked where the Atlantic and Caribbean met. It was absolutely beautiful. In St. Thomas my 2 favorite are Trunk Bay and Buck Island. Trunk Bay we do on our own, we catch a ferry to St. John, take a cab to Trunk Bay, and pay admission. The ferry is $6/pp, cab is $4/pp, and I think admission is $4/pp. There is a beautiful white sand beach, with warm crystal clear water, and a self-guide snorkel tour about 50 yds. from the shore. They have fresh water showers, lockers, a snack bar, a couple of shops (shop in St. Thomas), and a place to rent snorkel equipment. It is one of the top 10 beaches in the world. Or we take a sail/snorkel exucrsion to Buck Island, great snorkeling as well. I haven't been to Grand Turk in about 30 years, and I don't remember where the good snorkeling was. We're going in December, so let me know when you get back if you found a good snorkel trip. Half Moon Cay is their private island, so if you have your own equipment, there is some decent snorkeling there. You can also rent the equipment there. We purchased our own equipment because we snorkel a lot, but you'd have to decide whether it is worth it to you. Have a wonderful cruise.