View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 09:31 PM

I have rented cars and jeeps in Cozumel. If you book online you will get a better rate. Worst rate is booking with one of the pushy guys carrying a clipboard who will 'greet' you as soon as you walk through the port terminal. They charge about twice what you can get online or at the airport. I recently used Dollar both in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. You pick up the car in San Miguel [the downtown area] so you will have to take the cab if you dock at the newer dock, about $5. Then just a short walk. Drive the entire island in an afternoon. We take our snorkel gear, towels; then hit each bar and beach as we circumnavigate the island. Favorite spot is the most remote and past Palancar--you will see large gila monsters sunning on the rocks. Beautiful black lizards with yellow or salmon colored scales. So primitive looking. BTW renting a car or taking a cab is the only way to get to the other 'pretty' side of the island. Be careful of the undertow, it can get strong in less than one foot and I am a strong swimmer.