Thread: Wheel Chair Fun
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 02:55 PM

My husband is confined to a wheelchair and shore excursions are a major problem. I know of no island in the Caribbean that have wheelchair lifts in any of their vans/buses. However, my husband is able to transfer into a car/van and we have toured many islands via local taxis. We prefer Celebrity however, Royal Carribean's newer ships are better equipped (pool lift, tender lifts,etc) than Celebrity. Also if you contact Royal Carribean's shore excursion dept directly they can usually arrange for a particular shore excursion for you. We went this route last Oct and took the 2 railway journey while in Panama. They arranged for a van to pick us up at the pier and take us to the railway station in Colon. At the station they carried my husband in his chair up steps to the boarding platform then onto the train. In Panama City he was able to wheel directly on and off the train on his own. We had a van with a private guide waiting for us in Panama city and followed the normal itinery for this excursion. It takes a lot of patience, phone calls and emails to get the cruise line to do this but if you're persistent you end up with a great shore excursion which may become the high light of your trip. Holland America also has special tenders for disabled but I have no experience with them. If you have any more questions you can email me directly