View Single Post
Old 02-04-2004, 08:04 PM

I am not sure we have the best advice in the world, but for what its worth, here is what I would suggest.

First, take a camera with you and use it. The photos taken by the shipboard folks are pretty pricey. Almost anyone will snap a photo of you and your loved ones if you ask, and we always ask.

My wife and I cruise together a lot. We are 48 and 43 respectively, and we've been doing this for about 3 years now. We've been on the Paradise and the characterization of that vessel as a great ship is absolutely accurate. You will have a good time.

The Stingray City tour is a must do in Cayman. You cannot miss it. It is worth the money. We booked on board because we wanted to be sure we got back to the ship. But on our next cruise (on the Elation in March) we are going to go outside the ship to make our reservations mostly because we do feel suckered by the high prices charged.

If you've not booked a cabin already, we always book an inside cabin. We've had balcony cabins and mini-suites, and while they are nice in the abstract, they're a waste of money. You don't spend any time there, and you eat the same food and go the same places as the people who book an inside cabin. Also, if you're motion-sensitive, its better for you there as well.

If you are not a big drinker, then buy a soda card on the first day of the cruise. It costs around $29 or so, but at 1.50 to 3.00 a pop, it saves you money by the second day. Also, the geegaws for sale on board get progressively less expensive as the cruise goes on. Don't buy anything in the gift shops until the last or next to the last day.

Items charged to your shipboard account take on a life of their own. Its easy to forget what you charged if you put it on the room, and it can become a real shock when you get off the boat. Be judicious.

You get out of a cruise what you expect to get out of it. If you expect to have a good time, you will. Little things will go wrong. They always do. It may be a late tender. It might be a bad tour. Things happen. Adopt the right attitude and don't let it get you down. You're there to have fun. Don't let anyone or anything stop you.

A. L. DeWitt (aldewitt@sprintmail.com)

A. L. DeWitt