05-14-2007, 06:48 AM
Join Date: Sep 2006
Yes, the Emerald and the Golden are both Grand Class Ships. That additional deck of cabins adds about 500 passengers without increasing the size of most of the common areas.
Some differences to note, IMHO, are:
- Emerald has a large conference center; Golden has smaller meeting rooms
- Golden has the Sterling Steakhouse; Emerald has the Crown Grill offering more (mostly fish) entrée choices
- Emerald has the Penthouse (PH) Suites on that additional, higher deck (Riviera); Golden's PH Suites are on a lower deck (Caribe)
- Golden has the Horizon Food Court; Emerald has the Horizon and sit down, casual restaurant, the Café Caribe
- Emerald has the Steam and Sauna Rooms in the Locker Rooms and Thermal Suite as part of the Lotus Spa; the Golden just has the regular Steam and Sauna Rooms off the Lotus Pool (not in the locker rooms)
- Golden shows all the movies in the Princess Theater; Emerald has MUTS (Movies Under the Stars) as well as showings in the Princess Theater
- Emerald has a private, extra charge Sanctuary; Golden just has common area decks for lounging
- Golden's Youth/Teen Center is in the front of the ship near the Lotus Spa and Jogging Track; Emerald's Youth/Teen Center is secluded in the back of the ship near the Video Arcade
- Golden's Skywalkers is right at the back of the ship and has a walkway with great views to get there; on the Emerald, Skywalkers is slightly more forward and doesn't have the walkway
- Emerald has the Mini Golf and Simulator at the very top of ship (technically, another new deck, Star); Golden has the Mini Golf and Simulator on a lower deck, Sun)
- Emerald has Vines (Wine/Caviar Bar) and the International Café (specialty coffee, pastries, sandwiches, etc.); Golden just has the Lobby Bar (coffee, pastries, alcoholic drinks, etc.)[/list]
There are probably other differences, and some of these are not that important to some people. I would think the marketing folks at Princess would like us to believe all these (and other) differences make the Emerald different enough for us to immediately book a cruise on her!