View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 AM

Default Disney Magic Fire ruined cruise
The cruise we took was March 2002. A staff person told us that the previous six weeks had experienced bad weather and cruisers were sick, even long term staff. When people began to get sick, I wondered why, and when my son became sick, I soon figured out why. One time he got sick near the pool, and I quickly covered it up with a towel, and sought out the help of staff. Eventually a staff person came to clean it up—but all he did was pick up the towel, and not sanitize the area, despite telling him about the vomit. People then began to walk through the area. Gross. No wonder people get sick.

We also hated the fact we Canadians had to get up a 5:00 a.m. to go to an immigration/passport check. And the line-ups to get in and out of the ship were horrible.

At the end of our cruise our waiter came to our table and explained how little he gets paid, and begged for tips. It was extremely uncomfortable.

But the worst was the fire. While we slept a fire broke out on the ship. When the call came to go to the lifeboat stations, we got the kids up and tried getting them dressed and into the life jackets, and by the time we got into the hall, there was no one there. We got to where it seemed the stairs were, but there was a sliding door blocking the way, but it was a little open; I put my arm through to open it up, but the rocking of the boat closed the wall on my arm. Then a staff person on the other side of the wall helped get the wall off me. We went to the lifeboat station, and staff people were running with canisters toward the end of the ship with the fire. The cruise director would come on the intercom periodically to update us with “we are trying to get the fire under control”. After so many times saying the same thing, she started to stutter, and eventually the captain took over the announcements, but the message was the same. Our life boat staff person started to talk about what to do when we got in the lifeboat (notice, not if, but when) the message we were getting was that things were not getting better. After what seemed like standing there 2 hours, they said they had the fire under control. The captain was uncertain if the boat was seaworthy, so was calling the Coast Guard. But the reply was since we were not in U.S. waters, they couldn’t. We were on our own. The captain decided to see if we could make it to Castaway Cay, on slow speed, where the insurance company would fly in an expert to see if the ship was ok. So we travelled there, with the uncertainty if it was unable to make it. The time on the island was of course shortened due to the slow speed. The kids pool on ship was now off limits due to the damage on the ship.

My sister is unable to fly or sail now due to fears, and I felt so helpless on the ship, standing there, lined up, unable to hold the hand of my kids due to the lines, and the crushing of the people around us. I regretted taking the kids on the cruise and putting them through it. It was nightmarish.