View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 PM

Smile Home from the Crown
We just returned from our cruise on the Crown Princess and I would say that it ranks up there with both RCI and Celebrity. Although it lacks the promanades of RCI and some of the glitz, it was a great ship, clean, and kept up for the most part. We did notice some wear on the greens at the mini golf, but that was the worse that I could remember.
We arrived in FLL on Friday and stayed at the Best Western Oceanside. Our accomodations were clean and we were near the beach and it included a great breakfast. It did not provide our transportation to the pier on Saturday. Check In was a snap; we showed up prior to noon and waited inside for a short time and then the numbers were called and before we knew it, we were on board, carry on unpacked, and we were sipping a drink by the pool.
We had a balcony on deck 11 and the room was sufficient and similiar to what we have had on RCI but no sofa. We were the first balcony that did not have one above looking down on us, but we did look down into two lower balconies. We had connecting balconies (that our room Steward opened for us when we arrived) both left and right of us..This was a great feature as we were able to gather with them and another couple that were on a different deck.
The food on Princess was as good as we have had on other lines and both presentation and taste were very good. Four couples went to Sabatini's to celebrate my brother's birthday. I am so glad that we did that since I have never been to any of the pay venues on any of the lines.
The food was sooooooooooo good and we had every appetizer on the menu and the entrees were excellent except for the scallops that two of our group had. Service was excellent and so much above that of the main dining room. We had somewhat of a problem changing from the traditional 8:15 to the anytime dining. The maiatre de was rude to me and our guest regarding this change. We were supposed to get a letter confirming our change but never received and when we showed up at Anytime at the time we had reserved, no one seemed to know about it. After it was cleared up, we were guaranteed that we would have our same table ready for us at 7:30 each evening. We would arrive at that time and most evenings did not leave until 10:00 or 10:15pm...This worked out well for our table of eight.
We attended only two of the theatre productions, one of which was the singers and dancers, and the other was the hypnotist. We enjoyed both of these. We took in a comedian in the Explorer Lounge that was also very funny. My daughter and fiancee went to a couple of different venues for dancing and had a great time.
I usually started out my morning on the Terrace deck and enjoyed the sunrises and we also utilized this same area for afternoon sun/shade and a quiet spot away from the main pools that were always very, very busy.
I'll have to agree with others about Princess pizza; it is really, really GOOD..we had it a couple of time, along with burgers when we returned from our island tours.
We booked an outside cat (less than 30 of us onboard) to Stingray City and avoided the hassle of being with the crowds..Also did a snorkle of a reef and it was great...I spotted a Moray Eel hiding in the coral. Saw lots of beautifully colored fish as well. On Roatan (our first visit there) we also did an outside tour and 5 of our 8 did a zip line, and also went to the monkey farm and toured the West End and other great opportunities for Kodak moments. We had to tender here as the ship could not back in to the port due to high winds and rough seas..It could have been skipped altogether we were informed. In Cozumel we just went as far as the shops on the pier (which was new to us) and then back to the ship for some R&R. Friends of our took the ferry to Playa Carmen to see a time share that had been rebuilt after a hurricane that they have never stayed at. We enjoyed Princess Cayes as it was our first Princess cruise, but wish that we had more time...Tendering there was very time consuming. This is a very beautiful beach day.
All in all, this was a great cruise. Disembarkation was a snap and we had plenty of time to make our noon flight back to reality, snow, snow, and more snow to cope with !!
Should anyone have any questions, I would be more than happy to help.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews