View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 04:40 AM

My wife and I went on our Honeymoon Cruise this past November on the Norwegian Gem. This was our first crusing experience.
The Gem is a beautiful ship. We had a balcony room, which was nice. You really aren't in the room very often, so if you are looking to save money, thats where I would start.
Here are a few tips about saving some $$$:
*Everyday, there is a different specialty drink offered. The drinks are served in a souviner cup. You can save $2.00 per drink if you ask them to bring it to you in a glass, rather than the souviner cup. This is true for all drinks, not just the special of the day. We ended up with over a dozen souviner cups which we just threw away, and cost us an extra $2.00 per drink.
*Dont buy into the "free soda package". It costs about $7.00 a day and we hardly used it. They give you a reusable insulated cup to carry around with you and it got annoying. The waiters in the restaurants wont ask you if you want soda either..they just bring out water. You have to innitiate. By the way...iced tea, water coffee and tea are free in the restaurants.
*There are photographers EVERYWHERE....you will have your pictures taken a zillion times, and then be offered to buy them in the photo gallery. Very pricey.
*The free restaurants are really good, especially Magenta. You can grab a fantastic French meal at Le Bistro, and it's well worth the $15 or $20 a head to dine there. Especially the dessert. We did not feel the Italian/Chinese/ or Mexican specialty restaurants were worth the additional fee. The Blue Lagoon is open 24 hrs, but the food is not very good, and less than fast-food quality. I guess you cant go wrong with the wings or panini snadwich, but nothing else was decent.
*With all the restaurants, you can order as much as you want from the menus.
Dont be shy to order 2 or 3 different appetizers each, so you can both sample and share. The same is true for the main courses and desserts.
*If you are porting and going on an excursion, get in line at least 1 hour before....the lines were ridiculous and frustration to leave the ship in ports of call. Also, get in line extremely early for the Chocolate Buffett....trust me!
Hope this helps..let me know if I can be further assistance.

Last edited by mrwilliamt; 03-11-2011 at 09:22 AM.