View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 PM

Default If in doubt, leave it at home.
For as long as I have been a forum member, there has been discussion about what you can and cannot bring aboard in your checked luggage. I am now officially an expert in the field and can tell you that EVERYTHING is seen by somebody.

They see your power strips, they see your mouthwash bottles filled with vodka, they see your boxes of wine. They see and recognize everything. If they don't recognize it, they pull your bag and call you to find out what it is.

"They" are Homeland Security. The luggage scanning is not a Carnival plot to eliminate liquor-smuggling. These agents are trained to look for weapons, drugs, and other items. I am pretty sure Carnival security personnel is right there with them as they scan. So, if your mouthwash bottle or power-strip made it through, it was not your skillful packing. It was probably because the Carnival security person had something better to do with their time when your bag went through.

No, I was not caught smuggling liquor, but something totally innocent, which you can read about on my blog entry today.

We all get very annoyed by recent security measures we are subject to. I look at it differently now and feel very safe knowing that at every plane or ship, someone is looking for that "needle in the haystack."

We just returned from our 4th cruise on Carnival Triumph, from New Orleans. The embarkation and debarkation there gets better each time we sail from there. This time, it was 20 minutes from the car to the bar! (being a platinum member does help too.)

I'll try and post a few comments and observations from this cruise soon.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination