View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Default webber
My wife and I sailed on the Liberty from April 2-9. We did the 7 night trip in the Eastern Caribbean. It was our 25th anniversary and our first cruise. We booked excursions in 3 ports. Discover Atlantis in Nasseau Bahamas was amazing. It cost us around $60 each but I know of others on the cruise who just grabbed a cab for around $20 return and basically saw everything we saw but for 1/3 the price. Since this was our first time cruising we figured it would better to stick to planned excursions instead of branching out on our own. We did some shopping there as there were a large number of shops offering some pretty good deals. We bought 2 bottles of wine there but it was confiscated when we went back aboard the ship. We didn't make that mistake again.
Next stop was St Thomas were we did the excursion to Megans beach and shopping tour. The beach was fantastic but the shopping was a little or should I say alot confusing. We are not jewellry shoppers but everywhere you turned was a jewellry shop with someone outside urging you to come in. We didn't pay much attention to them especially after some lady posing as a tourist tried to lure us to a shop down some alley. We did find some great clothing deals there though. The prices were pretty good.
We had a great send off from St Thomas. Some guy on the wharf with a megaphone cheered us off and while the ship was leaving a streaker gave some hilarious entertainment.
San Juan had a great Rain Forest tour but the traffic getting back from the excursion was totally nuts. We didn't shop much there just picked up a shirt for our grandson (got one at every stop).
In Grand Turk we had a wonderful time. We didn't do an excursion but instead chose to shop and enjoy a day at Jimmy Buffetts Margariteville. The port was apparently disigned by cruise ship operators. All the shops were in one area that covered a couple of acres and was next to the dock. Out of the four ports this was our favorite. Just relaxing and enjoying the fun at Margariteville was great. The pool, wave rider and amazing beach was something that drew a large number of people from the ship. The DJ at the club really got the crowd going. Everyone had a wonderful day there and
we would have no problem going back there.
We have another cruise booked for next Feb and don't have any excursions booked and may not book any. I think we'll be visiting some of the sights but we'll be negotiating with drivers for better deals.
We haven't mentioned anything about the ship but we found it was great. The service was great, the entertainment was 2nd to none and the food was also amazing.
Whichever cruise you decide on I hope you have as good a trip as we did.