View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM

Good article, Dave. My past 3 cruises have all been during hurricane season (late September / early October), and I do know the risks about that, although I know the cruise lines will update their itineraries to avoid them, keeping safety in mind.

I don't think it was a tropical storm the last time, but my last cruise was affected, as we had to skip Grand Cayman due to heavy rain and wind, and it was too dangerous for the tenders to run. From what I understood at the time, this was the port's call, and not the captain's. It's kind of funny, because when I went upstairs to the buffet for breakfast, I saw the really dark sky and rain, and thought "Oh, this can't be good."

That turned into a day at sea (choppy seas though), and the joke of the day that day was that everyone was walking around drunk. As choppy as the seas were, the ship was still rocking significantly. I assume the stabilizers were deployed for awhile, but then a medical emergency arose, so we had to go full speed ahead to our next port of call, in which case I assume the stabilizers would be deactivated.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)