View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 05:32 AM

Wow...as most of you may know, I am a huge fan of Royal Caribbean and have always defended them against unfair posts by disgruntled passengers. This, however, is an entirely different story.

I am all about personal responsibility and completely understand that by the cruise contract, the passengers should be on the hook for the cost of hotels/airfare. However, if one simply does the math, it is not difficult to figure out that Royal Caribbean has made a miscalculation of gargantuan proportions.

Follow me here:

130 passengers x $300 per night per passenger hotel expense x 2 = $78,000

130 passengers x $800 last minute airfare = $104,000

130 passengers x $20 per meal x 6 meals = $15,600

Total outlay to completely save face against you're top competitor = PRICELESS (or $197,600 for you purists who want to do the math).

Now, those estimates are all at the high end when you consider that the cruise line gets special fares, etc. and couples/families having multiple people to a hotel room. So it is quite possible that RC could have done all this for less than $100,000.

Consider how much RC spends on advertising each year and you will know that $100,000 is miniscule in comparison, however, the positive press that they would have received would have paid them back fifty times over! Also, now, the negative press, even if they do the right thing in the end, will cost them at least 100 times over!

What on earth were they thinking? I can't believe that a business executive for the second largest cruise company in the world would make such a fool-hearted decision. Mark my words...heads will roll over this decision. Meaning that the folks that made that decision will likely be heavily penalized by RC. If not, they are clueless about how to deal with their customers.

Personally, this will not really have an impact on me, because I really like RC's ships, but there will be many people who will not cruise with them anymore.

Take care everyone!

Brad

Last edited by Wheels87; 08-28-2011 at 05:34 AM.