View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Default I'm back from a tour of Queen Elizabeth
What a marvelous afternoon! Cunard's Queen Elizabeth made her maiden call on Boston today, and I was able to go onboard for a tour and for the plaque exchange ceremony.

Her interior is stunning. (Wish I could say the same for the boxy exterior, but the interior more than compensates.) The styling is art deco, in a nod to her predecessor, RMS Queen Elizabeth of 1940. The paneling is faux wood, yet works. Colors are muted, although not dull, and an occasional pop of color adds to the warm ambiance. She is also a big ship. I'm in pretty good shape, and found it a long walk from bow to stern. Thankfully, there are just four public decks (the rest are devoted to cabins or the spa), so it is relatively easy to get around.

Although she is a modified version of HAL's Vista class ships, she is clearly a Cunarder. As such, she is a floating museum. Several artifacts from Queen Elizabeth 2 are onboard, as are paintings of prior Cunard ships. Oh, how I wanted to stop in the bookshop, which was open in port!

There's no replacing my QE2, yet I can see myself on the new QE. I'll post some photos over the weekend, if not sooner. Happy to answer whatever questions I can.