View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM

Default Update, cruise review!
We just returned yesterday from the cruise. It was my first, my wife has done a couple Disney cruises. We were on Holland America Eurodam. We are both 50. Here are some new cruiser observations. We had 7 days to the Eastern Car.

We knew it would be an older crowd but we did see some younger than us. Very few kids, maybe 20 or so. Weather was pretty good, but poured at Grand Turk. We didn't investigate much, but looked likel not much to do. Did a walking tour of Old San Juan.It was wonderful! Very colorful and well kept. Almost like Spain. If you like history, stop here. St. Thomas- While we only saw a mile or so walking from the ship, not very impressed. Just shop after shop, ticky tacky. There is a classy shopping area at a nearby harbour but everything expensive. Half Moon Cay, Hollands island. Did a nature walking trip and enjoyed it. We then went back to the ship as it looked like hundreds of seals decending onto the beach. To our surprise, the water was really too cool to swim in.

The Eurodam itself: Nice well maintained, though I know it is not very old. This is the biggest ship I ever want to cruise on, and it is midsize. We ate mostly in the dining room, and the food was very good. We avoided the Lido deck, as the food seemed basic, it was always crowded and we refered to it as the "feeding bar". Not for us. Did the Pinacle Grill, and the food also very good. Tamador was Asian-Fusion. The service great, food just ok. Negative- Terrible coffee, most certainly instant on the whole ship. And no coffee available anywhere on the ship until 6am. We were up a few times around 5 just waiting. You would think the service desk is open all night, they could keep coffee there. Room service food was always ontime, and quite good.

We had a veranda stateroom at the very back of the ship on floor 5. The room was plenty big and you could have put 4 chairs out there on the veranda- my favorite part of the cruise. There is the churning sound all the time while moving which can be a bit bothersome, but it helps drowned out the neighbors talking. The bed was very good.

All in all it was a great experience, and I didn't need the dramine, even though it was a bit rough at times. The ship needs to do a better job providing weather information on port days. The piano bar didn't have a player until 8p, which means more than half their customers missed it.

We both enjoyed days at sea more than port days, though there isn't a ton to do. Library very popular.

Next cruise slightly smaller ship and maybe a bit more upsacle while still being somewhat affordable. Ideas?