Thread: Athens ??
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 AM

I see no travel warnings or travel alerts for Greece on the State Departments website. I suspect a lot of the comments you're reading are from inexperienced travelers that panic easily. You're an experienced traveler Janfred. Follow the normal precautions that anyone experienced or inexperienced should do. That is, don't where jewelry, don't be flashing around your cash or carry large amounts of cash, use the money wallets under your clothing, if you do carry a purse or tote use the zippered kind or keep the flaps against you. Don't wear clothing or carry totes that broadcast you're an American. Always be aware of your surroundings. There are many other places that are known for pick pockets. Italy trains, subways, and in Spain the Las Ramblas area. I was in Athens in December 2008 and walked the Plaka area and felt safe. I realize there have been some problems in Greece in the last year or so. However; these have been mostly in the non-tourist areas. If you are uncertain then definitely take a ships tour. It would be a shame to miss out on this opportunity.