View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 03:28 PM

Talking Newbes
Welcome!! As we say here, once you do one cruise, you will be hooked. MY suggestion would be one of Royal Caribbean's Voyager Class ships as a starting off point. The price point for a first timer isn't too bad, and will give you a "middle of the class" size view for a first trip. There are larger ships, as Dave stated above, and smaller ships. In MY case, to me, the ship IS the cruise. However we have done some excursions, and have repeated a few in the past, but we like to relax and NOT have our day planned for us, or by us, too much. RCL has three dining time options, 6pm and 8:30pm each evening, and a thing called "My Time Dining", where you can select whatever time you wish to eat. Also. this class ship usually has two speciality restaurants, Chops and Portifinos (steak dining and Itialian dining) for a small extra cost, a great buffet for breakfast and lunch and dinner (if you wish). Our first cruise was on Mariner of The Seas (Voyager class) and we went on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise which went to Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. A Western cruise usually goes to Labadee (a private RCL beach in Haiti), Jamica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel, Mex. We started out in a balcony cabin, which has a stand-up shower which was large enough for me (6', 285#), but we quickly moved up to a Jr. Suite, which is basically a Balcony Cabin on steriods; slightly wider, a tub & shower bathroom like home, slightly larger closet and a slightly larger balcony. There is SO much to do on the ship, things to do and spas and workout rooms, swimming pools, hot tubs, bars, lounges, ice skating, rock climbing, etc. We sailed from Port Canaveral then, but now that port has Freedom OTS, a slightly larger version of Mariner, quite nice and comfortable, with a similiar price point. Look over this web site, use the info you find here and ask as many questions as you need. You'll find that we all have a passion for cruising, and are happy to pass along to someone new whatever we can.

Need some cruise help?

Last edited by Jim1012; 12-21-2012 at 03:32 PM.