View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 06:06 AM

Talking Back from Grandeur of the Seas
Going to Baltimore Pier was easy and parking was $15 a day VS Manhattan Pier at $35 a day. We parked the car at about 11 AM and we were on the ship at 11:45 AM. Our cabin was a D2 Superior Balcony. I have to say it was very nice, plenty of storage. We did not use a lot of the drawers. We were happy with our balcony, not as larger as others we have had but you could have a breakfast or lunch out on the balcony. It had a nice size table to allow that. I was a tad disappointed in the bed, it was very low and not as comfortable as I would have liked it. No way to put suitcases under the bed but it posed no problem for us. Bathroom was very nice, I just hate those darn shower curtains! This was our first time sailing with Royal instead of Celebrity.

The first night we did go to the Diamond Club it was so crowed we could not get in the door and I was thinking this isn’t going to be fun. Ruth our Loyalty Hostess told us to seat where ever we wanted outside the Club and they would take care of us. They were wonderful every single night and we had a wonderful time. We never did sit in the Club it was too small but did not matter. The over flow just sat near the windows in the South Pacific Lounge and we had great service. I loved the special coffee every morning and it was always pretty empty. Nice continental breakfast there too. I did ask Ruth a question I could not get a straight answer to after calling Royal myself a few times. In June I wanted to try Royal with my friend who is not Diamond was told she could not use the Diamond Lounge, another call I got a different answer and was told she could come but she would have to pay for her drinks even though she was in my cabin. I decided the heck with Royal and took her on Celebrity so she could enjoy the Elite Club every night with me before dinner. Ruth the Loyalty Hostess told me, absolutely anyone in my cabin may join me and have free cocktails, wine or beer.

We only used the Windjammer when we had too. I didn’t really care for it, but we don’t really care for buffets anyway. I was surprised that there was no Grill by the pool for hot dogs and burgers. The burger in the Windjammer was cold and the cheese wouldn’t even melt. Dining room was great, I love the fact that they have the nice salad bar at lunch and they make it for you. Mornings they had a breakfast bar that was nice as well. Of course they had the regular menu items too. Chops Grill was so wonderful, I loved it! Giovanni’s Table was also fantastic! We also had the best 2 waiters at My Time Dinning. We asked for them so every night they sat us with them. My first time using My Time and we both loved it.

The ship was beautiful. They were working on a few things like welding on new doors on deck 5. We did have problems with our air in our cabin for 3 days. At times we had heat coming out of our vents and other times no air or heat. We called maintenance several times but could never get a straight answer. On the third day we come back to our cabin to find condensation all over the closet doors and mirrors and it was about 95 degrees so that was it for us. I hate to go to the desk to complain but I knew I would not be happy if it continued. The manager was very nice and did offer to move us (a big hassle) she told us she did believe everything was fine so we decided to stay and if it happened again we would move. I asked for nothing but a cool room but was surprised with a nice bottle of wind and a future cruise credit. That was so nice of them to do that, we were both shocked.

Celebrity VS Royal well yes we feel there is a difference for us anyway. We loved Royal but we do love Celebrity a bit more! I will defiantly sail with Royal again. We are not snoots by any means but I missed the nice soaps, shampoos lotions, cotton balls and Qtips in the cabin. I missed the really nice beds with the rounded corners. I missed 180 min of internet time VS 90 min. Oh, and the one big bag of free laundry! I guess I also assumed we would have a tote bag, umbrella and binoculars in our cabin but no. All in all WONDERFUL ship, crew, food, service and entertainment!! Wow we have nothing out there in the future, we need to start planning and book something so we can plan and dream away!!!

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Last edited by janfred; 11-17-2013 at 06:14 AM.