View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 04:08 PM

Hi there,

My fiance and I took a special vacation and decided to go for a cruise onboard Silver Wind, one of Silversea's fleet, on Oct. 1-8. The itinerary was: Nice, Livorno, Rome (civitavecchia), Sorrento, at sea, Heraklion (Crete), Mykonos, and Athens.

The port of call on Oct. 7 was Mykonos. During the farewell reception in the evening of Oct. 6, the captain said the next day would be a challenge day because there would be many large ships at the port. It turned out it didn't matter at all because in the morning of Oct. 7, he announced that it was too windy for the ship to anchor at Mykonos and he decided to skip Mykonos. Instead, we sailed for almost the entire day and went directly to Athens. By the time we were allowed to get to shore, it was 4:30 in the afternoon. We docked at the port overnight and got off the next morning.

Needless to say we were very disappointed. So were some other passengers. Afterwards, I expressed to Silversea's client relations department how we felt. They wrote to me saying they regret my dissatisfaction, but "although Silversea would like to guarantee blue skies during all voyages," it's just impossible.

I am looking for some honest opinion:
(1) How often does skipping a port of call for weather reasons happen?
(2) Am I too sensitive or is the no-guarantee-of-blue-sky comment pure sarcastic?
(3) My travel agent told me that the ship should have at least tried to go to another port to make up for the cancellation. Is that right?

Silversea is suppose to be one of the top cruise lines but I am not sure this is top of the line cruise or top of the line service.