View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007, 10:04 AM

There were several beautiful hotels in Denali, Alaska. Go on line. Our problem was they were Expensive, and some were only for cruiseship passengers (which we were not)
McKinley Village (mile marker 230) and McKinley Chalet Resort (mile marker 239) are two I can recall. The park is located at mile marker 237.
There is another one called Grande Denali Princess or something like that but (I believe) its only for their cruisers.
I'm not sure exactly where the train station is, but everything there is densly populated with tourist stuff at the above mile markers.
We had a rental car and stayed at mile marker 224. (The mile marker numbers get smaller heading south from Denali/or larger heading north from Anchorage.) You'll probably get trained out...but the views are pretty. We saw a small black bear while eating dinner on the train from Seward to Anchorage. We saw tons of Dall Sheep on the mountains. In Denali we saw moose right on the side of the road. If you are interested in any of the following here are the fun things we did in Denali-
Black Diamond's (907-683-4653)
Covered Wagon Adventure- they'll pick you up at your hotel...It a covered wagon ride to a log cabin all you can eat dinner. $79 pp
Back Country ATV Rides (same company as above, they'll pick you up and bring you back to your hotel) 2 1/2 hr ATV rides $85 pp
Alaska Cabin Nite Dinner Theatre All you can eat dinner and show located at the McKinley Chalet Resort arrive 4:30 to hotel lobby to pick up your tickets, then go stand in line to the building that has the show. You can wear jeans, the kind of dinner that has no silverwear, a lot of fun. 907-276-7234
Denali National Park- the park itself hasa Wilderness Access Center and Murie Science and learning Center on Park Road, right inside the park mile 1.5)Neat stuff to see, then we drove into the park for the first 15 miles it's free. We went at dinner time so we saw several Carabou and jack rabbits. and at the furthest point you can drive in for free was a small mountain/hill you could climb up. We opted not to pay $$ to ride the school bus for 5+ hours. and we're glad we did. Here are some websites that may help-
www.nps.gov/dena and www.denaliparkresorts.com
Also when you are in Denali no matter where you stay you can eat lunch or dinner (because it's never dark there)in any fancy hotel and get a beautiful view of the mountain.
K2 Aviation 800-764-2291 www.flyk2.com if you want to fly around/to the mountain. We were going to do a glacier landing but it was too cloudy so we did just the flight and they refunded the difference with no problem.
There is also horseback riding there if you are into that also- although I wouldn't recommend it if you have a flight the next morning from Alaska to Florida (we found that out the hard way!)