View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 09:50 AM

The secret is lots of love and laughter. I buy a 15-20 lb. bird (depending on the number). Take the gizzards out and put them in a separate pot with onions, celery, poultry seasoning, rosemary, and water. I use this for basting and moistening the stuffing. I take softened butter and rub the turkey down with it, sprinkle it with poultry seasoning and rosemary. I make my stuffing using the Pepperidge Farm Seasoned Stuffing croutons, but you can make your own if you like. To the croutons I add, celery, onion, walnuts, the broth from the pan with the gizzards and stuff, then pack the turkey with the dressing. I put the turkey in at 350 degrees and baste every 20-30 minutes. I like my turkey well-done, so I cook it until it's really golden brown, usually around 4-6 hours. Then I take the drippings from the turkey and make gravy. I start with butter and flour and brown that, then add the drippings. I serve with mash potatoes, peas, Pillsbury crescent rolls, and cranberries (I either make my own or use the whole cranberry sauce and use a little orange zest in it). I like to have relish trays with celery sticks, carrots, grapes, olives (green and black), pepperoncinis, deviled eggs, mixed nuts (usually natural not canned), and some home-made chex mix. I try to make sure everyone has enough to drink so they think my food tastes good I know you'll have great success and I'm sure you'll get bunches of ideas from our board members!