View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 05:13 PM

I sailed on Explorer out of Cape Liberty in early December, loved it!! I read that taxis to Port Liberty run $40-45 and planned to use one to get from my airport hotel to the port. There was a huge storm the day I was to board and the hotel booked a towncar for me, not the cab I'd asked for. I was a bit annoyed, especially b/c the driver told me the regular price was $75 but b/c of the storm it would be $85 and it had to be cash. If I used a credit card he would charge me in additional 15% service charge!! Sounds outrageous, huh? Well, everything works out. It took 1 hour 20 minutes to get me dropped off at the port. The lineup was an hour long. Literally fistights were breaking out. $85 was a bargain and I plan to use towncars again for my next two Explorer cruises in 2008. As for picking up afterward, I would go with cabs b/c if you arrive late you end up paying the waiting fees for the towncar, as a friend did who was on my December cruise. We were supposed to dock at 8 a.m. but didn't get in until 10:30 and she wasn't off the ship until 1:30 p.m. The car service cut her a deal but she still had to pay 2-1/2 times the fare.

Have a great time on Explorer!