View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 07:28 AM

Just got off the Triumph/western carib cruise yesterday. I won't get into a long review but just touch on the good and not so good.

Good
The service and food in the dinning room were excellent. Much better than we had on the Glory a couple years ago. Our waiters, Bobby and Rhoderick and were excellent.

Overall service on the ship was excellent. The staff were very friendly and seemed genuinely happy to be there.

The production shows were very good.

Overall the ship activities were very good. Lots of fun and lots of stuff to do.

Not so good stuff.
Pretty minor complaints overall but I will mention them. Embarkation and debarkation are a nighmare. I don't understand why they make it so difficult. Carnival really needs to figure out how to do bingo on their ships. It is just horrible. Of course, if one doesn't like it, don't play. The assistant cruise directers who were running the trivia contests and bingo seemed confused most of the time. They didn't know what they were doing which was very frustrating for the people playing. Add the fact that we couldn't understand them because of heavy accents. Again, don't like it? Don't play.

Ports of Call-
We rented a jeep in Cozumel and drove to the wild side of the island. We found a beautiful beech, $2 beers and had the little club all to our selves. It was awesome.

We took the sting ray city tour with Moby Dick tours in Grand Cayman. Lots of fun. The snorkling on the reef was some of the best I've ever done.

In Ochos Rio, we took the Cool Runnings boat to the falls. That was the only ship excursion we took and it was a blast. The falls are awesome and the ride back to the ship with the rum punch flowing got really wild. Beware the rum punch. They use 151 proof rum and it will knock you for a loop. They don't care who drinks it and we saw more than one teenager completely out of their minds on this stuff.

A note about Dunns River Falls. I read a lot about people's concerns whether they can climb the fall or not. It is a bit strenuous. I climbed it with really bad knees and being about 60 pounds overweight. My parents, who are 78 and 79 respectively both climbed the falls and were no worse the wear for it.

A few notes-
We brought "some" booze with us in our luggage. It included rum, wine and even some beer. Never had a problem. In fact, prior to the cruise we looked at the ships wine list and bought the recommended wine at home. We took 5 of the recommned wines and took a bottle to dinner on four occasions. I called the wine steward over and offered to pay the corkage fee. She said, because the wines were what the shipped served there was no fee. She said she assumed the wines were part of gift basket from the ship, "Right?"

I said "Uh..."
She said "right?".
I said. "uh...right". I did end up paying our waiters an extra tip for opening and corking our wine on the night we brought it.

Overall a great cruise.