View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 04:15 PM

As one becomes an adult and sees the world from a different perspective, one is usually able to perceive when they are in the presence of someone or something that will not pass this way again. Persons like Ronald Reagan or interesting times like World War II, for example. There's a part of me that, when I was on the Norway the one and only time I sailed on her, intuitively knew that "Dave, you'd better pay attention -- you will not see one like this again". That must have been why I awoke early in the morning of the day we were to disembark and spent two hours taking photographs of seemingly meaningless things -- rooms, statues, art, lights. I was somehow trying to grasp at a straw (or a rivet) to try and stamp into my brain this entity that was the SS Norway. Ships do have a soul. If they didn't, why would we plow to the bottom of the sea in the North Atlantic to seek the Titanic or go to such great lengths, both monetarily and emotionally, to save them? We all are bound to the Norway, and while we mark it as a sad occasion, we also should remember that our lives are, in ways both small and large, marked by both her presence and her passing. With things like these, I am always reminded of one of my favorite lines from Shakespeare. . .

If we do meet again, why, we shall smile; If not, why then, this parting was well made.
-- Brutus and Cassius before battle

Farewell to you all. I look forward to seeing some of you on the seas, perhaps. Farewell, Norway, and we thank you.