View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 12:30 AM

Here is more advice and what I can remember about Nassau:

- What I regret not buying in Nassau was the wood carvings I saw at the Straw Market and a hat made from woven palm fronds. Like I said, I saw wood carvings at the Straw Market but could not get close to them. I saw a man selling those palm frond hats and baskets at Ft. Charlotte on my shore excursion, but did not have the time to buy anything from him. I am not sure if they sold those woven palm frond items at the Straw Market.

- I also purchased some conch shells at the Straw Market. I also saw another man in a boat selling conch shells, sea sponges and other shells at the sea wall near the Straw Market. The man at the Straw Market who sold them to me talked me into getting 3 for $20. When I brought them back home, I gave them to my two nephews (ages 5 and 8). They both were fascinated with shells.

- Eventhough I don't drink alcohol (which saved me ALLOT on my Cruise Account) I did purchase some Rum Cakes in Nassau. Since you can not get drunk from eating rum cake, I decided to buy a couple. When I brought them home and ate them, I found them to be absolutely delicious. They sell them in two sizes and two different brands. They have the small size rum cakes (about 4"diameter) which sell for around $4 to $5. The large ones are about a 8-9" bundt cake which sell for $10-$12. The two different brand names of rum cakes I saw in Nassau were Bacardi and Don Lorenzo. Bacardi is a Puerto Rican rum. Don Lorenzo is a rum made in the Bahamas.

- US Dollar bills are excepted everywhere in Nassau. To simplify things, the Bahamanian government keeps their dollar exactly equall to the US dollar. When I made I purchase in Nassau, the cashier placed my dollar bills in the till on top of the Bahamian currency and made no distinction between the two currencies.

- If Carnival is anything like Royal Caribbean, it probably costs a small fortune to use the phone onboard, in your cabin, to call home. Instead, I discovered that they sell phone cards inside the Festival Place building. Close to where the security guard examines the cruise ship card and photo IDs of passengers re-entering the port, there is a window. This window looks like a big window you would see in a drive thru at your local bank. Behind it is a person that will sell you phone cards for $5, $10 and $20, which you could use on the pay phones a few feet away. With the phone card, using those pay phones, it costed me 51 Cents per minute to call home. That is ALLOT CHEAPER than the almost $8/MINUTE!!! R.C. charged on-board the ship.

- Since I was only in Nassau for one day, I am not sure how safe the streets are. The only hassles I had, as I told you, were from pushy street vendors(hustlers). But they left you alone if you said no. I did see cruise passengers that were elderly people and parents with small children, walking around on the streets un-concerned. The Police Headquarters in Nassau was right next to the port (Prince George's Wharf), so hopefully that made the area more safe. However, you should always be reasonably carefull and follow common sense like you would in any unfamiliar place.

- In Nassau, they sell Cuban Cigars. They sell them in allot of the stores, and the street hustlers will inevitably offer to sell you some. Since I do not smoke, I decided not to get any. Also it is against the law to bring them into the US. Cuban cigars are allowed in every country in the world except the good ole' USA. You may get in serious trouble if US Customs catches you with the stogies from Havana .

-When the ship was at see, I went up to the observation lounge all the way at the top. I am not sure if Carvinal's Celebration has something similiar. When I got there, there was an overwhelming stench of cigar smoke in the air. I don't have to guess what county those smokes came from. I guess some passengers would smoke their Cuban cigars before the ship returned to the US.

-By the way, you said that the Celebration will dock in Nassau from 7AM Saturday until Midnite Sunday, giving you two days there. Actually you probably won't have two days in Nassau. You will likely have a little less than 17 hours in Nassau (7AM Saturday until about 11:30PM Saturday). The ship will likely leave Nassau at 12AM Sunday, which is one minute later than 11:59PM Saturday. The Carnival Celebration may also require everyone to be aboard the ship a half hour before it leaves, as was the case during my cruise.

So, that's all I can remember about Nassau. I hope it all can be of some help to you both. I hope you both had a chance to read all this before your cruise. When you come back, I'm sure Tom would appreciate it if you could write a review of your cruise and submit it to his website. So, take care and have a nice cruise.