View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 02:00 AM
Banned

I returned Sept.10, 2007, from a 4-day cruise on the Holiday. We put up a credit card for the Sail&Sign deposit. Upon returning home, I checked the credit card balance and discovered it was over the limit by $24. What? Upon combing through my charge receipts, and going online to examine the account activity, I still couldn't figure out where "I" made a mistake.

Finally I called the credit card company. They told me there were pending charges. The $433.53 Sail&Sign was processed on Sept.10, but there was a long list of pending charges for the Sail&Sign dated from Sept.6 - 9. It turns out that Carnival puts holds throughout the cruise on the credit card for the amounts charged on Sail&Sign, then charges the whole amount on the final day. That seems fair, but normally, the pending charges would drop off once the final transaction is completed. Not so with Carnival.

The holds have not dropped off. Although Carnival Guest Relations advised me that the charges should have dropped off after 72 hours (3 days), it has clearly been well beyond 72 hours. It has been 9 days since the first hold began, and 5 days since the final payment was charged. When I add that up on my toes and fingers, I get a figure well over the 72 hours they claim. Carnival aknowledges the problem and issued a reference number for me to report to my credit card company to hopefully set my credit back into good standing, but it will take time for the paperwork to go through accounting to authorize a release for these holds.

It has been a bit of a headache. Now all I have to do is wait for the extra 433.53 to drop off the credit card account. I was thinking that when I cruise this October, I will put up a cash deposit instead. I did not pitch a fit with Carnival about this. They took responsibility for the problem. But it is still unfortunate that this happened. I'll be careful next time. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.