View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 12:34 AM

I just recently returned from a cruise onboard the Norwegian Pearl (from Dec.7th-14th).

I have already expressed my opinions about the ship in previous posts. I focused on the dissapointments or negative aspects of the cruise.

There were positive aspects which I did not mention. One big positive about the Norwegian Pearl in my opinion, was the security. I felt that the security was probably the best I have seen on all the cruises I have been on. There were survelance cameras everywhere. I had an issue with my safe at the start of the cruise, and one of the ship's security officers (who are responsible for the safes) were there in minutes.

In addition, it seemed that they were very strict in protecting the health of all onboard the Pearl. In public places throughout the ship, there were these alcohol-gel dispense machines. You would pass your hand under it and a sensor would detect your hand and squirt some of the gel. In addition, at the entrance of the ship and the entrance to the dinning places, there was a crew member with a spray bottle waiting to spray your hands with disinfectant.

Also, during the cruise, I did see crew members participating in various safety drills. Usually while in a port of call, when most of the passengers were ashore.

IMHO, health and safety was something I did not think or worry about while on my Pearl cruise. I would reccomend the Pearl and the other NCL ships (who pratice the same health and safety measures), for people who are afraid to go on a cruise because they hear sensationalized news stories about people being attacked, robbed, or becoming very ill during a cruise. Or more recently, falling overboard during the cruise. I felt that all of those things were least likely to occur during my Pearl cruise, and maybe all other NCL cruise ships.

I was very surprised to hear about this recent story of the young lady falling overboard on the N. Pearl. It seems to fly in the face of all the security I witnessed while onboad the Pearl.

Unfortunately, despite everything and all the best efforts of the cruiseline, cruiseship, and crew members, things like this happen. However, it would not stop me or even make me think twice about going on another cruise. I believe strongly that cruising is one of the safest forms of travel and vacation.