Thread: Happy 4th!
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator

I get a little nostalgic when I think of the Independence Days of my youth. We'd have the barbecued (burned) hot dogs and hamburgers in the afternoon, then we'd all pile in the car and head to the Fish & Game Club which was on a small hill a few miles away. They always had a fireworks display that could be seen for miles, and they had a small carnival of sorts, with a few booths selling trinkets, games, and my favorites - the booths selling Italian sausage , meatball, and pepperoni sandwiches and fried dough. They had a huge field and everyone would either bring lawnchairs or simply throw a blanket out and sit. The anticipation grew as the sun set and we waited for it to get dark enough for the fireworks. Kids would be twirling sparklers and there was always a rumor about some guy who was selling cherry bombs illegally. Such was the Fourth Of July in Columbia County NY in the late 1950's through the early 70's.

Fireworks are legal here in my part of Alabama, and we have some bottle rockets and other small items. I've got ribs to barbecue and hot dogs to burn.

Everyone be safe and have a nice weekend.