View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Svein:
But in the end - if she's not able to sail the seas like she was mean't for, I rather cherish her memory than see her as some tacky floating hotel somewhere.
Svein, I wonder if our paths did cross on SS Norway in 2001, as I recall talking to an officer who gave me exactly this same response! (Of course, it could have been one of many.)

Back to the topic at hand -- as we have another thread dedicated to SS Norway herself -- it is nice to hear that there were only minor changes soon after Star Cruises took over. Yet, I heard in my conversations with crew that the changes that came later with Freestyle took some getting used to. Now, without getting yourself into trouble, of course, was that the consensus when you were onboard, too?

Others -- please chime in, as well, from a pax perspective. In my case, I have only Norwegian Majesty on which to base an opinion, and I have always received great service on this ship that is so dear to me.

Hi Lisa,

Our paths may very well have crossed, I was on the Norway as first officer from july 2000 till june 2001, with some vacations in between.

The Norway never implemented freestyle cruising, I got to know that consept when I transferred to (my all time favourite ship) the Majesty in august 2001. You're right - for the hotel staff it took some time getting used to, especially since Majesty and all the other excisting ships at that time were not built for freestyle cruising at all. Now, i've never been on a "real" freestyle ship to compare, but I guess things are easier there for the crew involved.

My NCL experience ended 5 years ago, and I have no idea how it is to work there today. all I know is that the significant amount of norwegian officers are gone, and that the only "Norwegian" left is in the names of the ships. I just know that I had the time of my life there and that NCL was a great employer as far as I'm concerned. Others with other experiences might disagree with me - this is just my personal opinions.

Read and post cruise reviews