View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 06:31 AM

We're going on a 10 night cruise of the Eastern Mediterranean next week. We leave from Savona, Italy. I did a little research myself as there will be time to tour the city before or after our cruise. Here is what I found. And I'll let you know how it goes when we return:

Discreet, nearly excessively so, Savona is still full of surprises. Though not a part of the important itineraries it is ready to disclose the magic of its "caruggi" (typical narrow lanes), the shade of its towers, between a formidable stronghold and the sea of Liguria . It is a town worth a visit where also food care can be an experience.

Its mild climate allures the visitor to discover and appreciate its atmosphere with an impressive heritage of historical buildings, artistic beauties: from early in the low MiddIe Ages to XV and XVI centuries, is the influence of the Popes from Savona, Sixtus IV (1471-83) and lulius 11 (1503-13).

The town today welcomes tourists who love the sun and sea find here breezy hot summers and long sandy beaches. Delicate, new flavors are the keynotes of the local genuine and simple food. Connoisseurs will appreciate "la buridda di stoccafisso» (a stew of stockfish), la "torta pasqualina" (a vegetable pie), "i ravioli di magro" (vegetable raviolis), "le verdure ripiene" (stuffed vegetables) and a rích variety of sea dishes. Other traditional, though less sophisticated, delicacies are la "farinata di ceci e grano" (a pancake of wheat or chickpea flour), le "fette di panizza" (a fried chickpea flour based dish) and "le frittelle di baccalà (fried cod). The desserts: the famous "amaretti di Sassello" (bitter-sweet macaroons) and the candied fruit of Savona. All washed down with the Lumassína, Buzzetto, Pigato and other local wines, produced in small quantities and nearly impossible to find outside this area.