Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 01:49 PM

We will be on the Sun Princess in June and want to know which is better--the float trip or canoe trip? We were worried that you don't see as much on the float trip and also concerned you don't see as much on the canoe trip!
Old 02-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Depends on who paddles the canoe; if they expect you to paddle I'd take the float trip.
On second thought, take the float trip either way--you don't want to be anywhere near a glacier in a canoe when it calves.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 PM

Hello, we did the Mendenhall float trip, july 05. They give you rain gear and waterproof boots to wear, if you want to. Well, the raingear was great. The waterproof boots, were not that great. They suggest you bring a second pair of socks. I didn't!! The boots, must of had little holes in them, just enough to let small amount of water in. By the end of the trip, my feet felt FROZEN, very cold. We drove out to the lake in front of the glacier, and put our gear on. We got in the raft, and paddled out closed to the glacier. Now, I had no idea what to expect, and we did not get as close as I thought we would of. I was a little disappointed at that. We then turn our raft around, and started heading downstream. The rapids were pretty benign, I thought. I have rafted the Kern River before, so I was able to compare the rafting. I don't know what class the rapids were. If I had to guess, I would say class I-II. After awhile, the scenic riverside turned into backyards of houses. There are houses that live along the river. Little kids would wave to us. I don't remember how long it was either. But, after my feet feeling frozen, I remember I was ready to get off when it ended. It was neat to do. Definately bring an extra pair of socks. Your feet will thank you. We also did the helicopter out to the glacier with a glacier walkabout. Expensive, but oh so worth it. That was awesome. Hope my info helps. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Lil' Lori, I enjoyed your narrative; my first experience was similar.
We were rafting down the river (shooting the Mendenhall as they called it) and even though it was very benign I was feeling very backwoodsman-like and adventuresome--until we started seeing overpasses and fences and back yards; really shattered my illusion. But it was great fun anyway.

Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, canoe, carnival, cruise, excursion, float, glacier, laurie, mendenhall, paddling, review, reviews, trip, trips, wear