Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2006, 02:23 PM

My husband & I are planning an Alaska cruise for next year, either mid-May or mid-September. I am unsure which month would be better weather wise and for seeing wildlife. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joyceh
Old 10-20-2006, 03:28 PM

The rule of thumb is that May is generally drier than September. However, our experience was just the opposite, and there is never a weather guarantee!! Wildlife is great anytime too; more babies early in the season, but otherwise, either month is good. There will be more daylight hours in May than in September.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:00 PM

I found when we took our cruise that we were the first ship let into Glacier Bay because they didnt want to seal pups to be separated from their mothers. We sailed 8-27. The first year we sailed 6-4. Both trips were great, weather is ever changing in Alaska anyway and you cant ever predict. I did enjoy September better though.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:04 AM

Karen and Greyson, thanks for the feedback. I understand Glacier Bay is a must so I wouldn't want to miss it if I went in May. That alone would make me lean towards going in September.
Many thanks. Joyceh
Old 10-21-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joyceh:
My husband & I are planning an Alaska cruise for next year, either mid-May or mid-September. I am unsure which month would be better weather wise and for seeing wildlife. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joyceh
Old 10-21-2006, 02:10 PM

Having just come back from a September 8-15 cruise on Celebrity Mercury, I would definitely recommend the September time frame. No mosquitos, beautiful weather and only 1 day with rain, which was in Juneau. You can plan on mid to upper 50's with some 60's like we had in Ketchikan. All in all a beautiful time of year and a cruise not to be missed!
Quote:
Originally posted by joyceh:
Old 10-22-2006, 11:25 AM

Moonie, thanks for the good advice. I hear Alaska can get some heavy concentrations of mosquitos and black flies which I'd like to avoid. The weather also sounds warmer than I was expecting. September sounds like the month I should go.
Thanks again, Joyceh
Old 10-29-2006, 05:44 PM

We just did 3rd week in Sept. and found it light jacket weather with only light drizzle in Juneau (locals said you hardly ever see a full sun day there). The Glacier Bay was wonderful! We also had "cruise" freinds that did same route 1st week in Sept. and said it was "sun all around". As for animals...your chances are good anytime, as long as you take an excursion.
Crown Princess April/07 - Fun In The Sun in Eastern Caribbean
RCI Brilliance Of The Seas March/08 - Here We Go Again
RCI Vision Of The Seas Dec/08 - Joining Sis On Her Redneck Honeymoon in Mexico
Old 11-20-2006, 12:37 PM

Dellajj, thanks for insights. September sounds like a good time to go. Sorry to take so long to thank you but we've just come back from a Mediterranean cruise. Now it's time to get serious about booking our next trip. I see you're travelling on the Crown Princess in April. We were just on Princess and heard good reviews about the Crown both from fellow cruisers and staff alike. Enjoy!
Joyceh

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, cruise, review, reviews, september, weather