Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2007, 07:12 PM

As of last week, all you get is a complimentary bottle of water. Nothing else available to purchase.

Lanie
Old 05-25-2007, 10:18 PM
mickeyd, exactly what I was thinking; how'd they miss an opportunity like that?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:47 PM

joyceh, how was the trip
We will be going Aug 6 and I think we will take the train up and come back on a bus where we can go gold mining. Did you take the ship excursion, or do it privately.
I am thinking of using Shoretour.com does any one know about this firm.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:14 PM

Hi wildwon01. We've just come back from our cruise. The train trip was great! If you are taking it one way up the mountain, sit on the left side. There is very little you can see on the right side once you progress further up the mountain (only rock and a strained view upwards). However we did see Dall sheep on the right side and the morning train saw bears. We sat in the last train car so we could enjoy the unobstructed views and mountain air on the rear platform. Arrive early if you want to sit in this car. However, all cars have a forward and aft platform. Some people on the train were nervous about heights and did not enjoy the "rock/air" views you get on the left side looking straight down the mountain. I thought it was exhillerating and saw eagles on the shores of the river below. We booked our excursion through the cruise line. It would have been $11 less per person if we booked directly with White Rail Pass but we felt it was worth the extra money to be assured of a seat at the time of day we wanted to go. We opted for the afternoon trip at which time most of the morning fog and cloudy skies had cleared. Hope this helps. Joyceh
Old 06-10-2007, 10:21 PM

I too enjoy this White Summit ride two weeks ago. Personally, it is worth every penny of it.

Our ship were late leaving two ports, so I think we made the right decision on booking through cruise because you just never know if the ship will arrive town on time or not.

I learned that every excursion in Alaska, you go through them, rain or shine. Consider yourself lucky if sun is out, but even luckier, if you just have light rain and not downpours.

Closed Thread

Tags
ail, beverages, cars, curise, mountain, pass, rail, railroad, railway, rides, side, sit, train, views, walking, white