Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 10:31 AM

I am wanting to go on an Alaskan Cruise with my 27 year old daughter. We would like to incorporate The Canopy Tour in Ket. or Juneau, and possibly white water rafting. This will be the trip of a lifetime for us, and I am unsure about Cruise line, I like NOR. and their freestyle dining, but want a really nice ship, but really don't want to have to sit with strangers and eat only at certain times. We are wanting to go mid to late July 2007. We could go up to 10 days if a side trip is worth it,. Any suggestions??? Thanks!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:49 PM

We sailed the Ryndam and Oosterdam through Holland America, both were gorgeous ships. They do have assigned dining in the main room but you can choose to have a table just for the two of you. You can also just eat on the Lido if you like.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:42 PM

Suzan, Princess has traditional early and late seating, but also has "personal choice" dining, which is similar to Norwegian's Freestyle dining. Most cruise lines have alternative dining choices at dinner, so that even if you sail a cruise line with just early or late seating for dinner, you have the option of going to the buffet restaurant or one of the other alternative eating areas at whatever time you choose, within the hours of service of that restaurant.

Most of the more expensive cruise lines have "open seating," which means you show up at the dining room whenever you want and they seat you at that time (within the hours that the dining room is open). Cruise lines have limited tables that hold just 2 people, but they can usually accommodate a party of 2.

I know that the Sapphire Princess, among other Princess ships, stops in both Ketchikan and Juneau (and Skagway) on both northbound and southbound itineraries, as do most other cruise lines' ships that do 7 day cruises. The southbound itineraries, where you do an inland tour first and then cruise for 7 days from the Anchorage area (Whittier or Seward)sell out faster than the northbound itineraries that start in Vancouver, end in Whittier or Seward and then you do your inland touring. That's true of all cruise lines that do Alaska. If you want a 7 day cruise and no inland tour, you can also do a cruise that starts and ends in Vancouver or Seattle.

Alaska cruising enjoys a short season of just a few months each year, and space sells out quickly. If you want to sail in July, I'd contact a knowledgable travel agent soon to see what kind of availability there is.

Sandy
Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 AM

Hi thanks for the advice. I joined AAA this morning and talked to a travel agent and am going back again this afternoon. She thinks the Princess would be best also, and encouraged us to take a cruise tour and do 10 days and include a couple of days In Denali. I am really excited about it now. I was looking at vactions to go and seems like the good ones seel out, so I hope we can get in!!!

Closed Thread