Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 AM

I am looking online at the different excursions for Alaska. What are the pros/cons of booking excursions with NCL verses booking seperately online? I can't see much of a price difference. So is it better to book through the cruiseline or on my own?

Thanks.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-25-2010, 08:16 AM

I've only been on one other cruise, but I think unless it was something really cheaper or different I would go with the cruiselines, especially if time could be a factor. If you are on theirs, they are responsible for getting you back on time to sail or would get you to your ship. Otherwise the ship could leave and it would be your responsibility to meet up with it. It probably doesn't happen too often, but I hear it has happened to people.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Agreed! Even if the ship excursions are a little higher, the peace of mind is well worth it.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 PM

Last year in Juneau I looked at booking the Photo Safari by Land and Sea with the vendor instead of the ship. I figured Alaska should be a safe enough place to be brave. It was cheaper to book with HAL. I agree with the other, even a higher price buys you peace of mind.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:39 PM

I usually book with independents b/c they don't herd the passengers like the pre-book options and they usually stay out longer for a better tour. We've cruised a lot and haven't been burned yet!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:49 PM
23 cruises and I've seen many passengers stranded on the dock because they booked their own excursions....But it's a gamble...just like not buying cruise insurance....Strange things happen....Now, in Juneau, Mendenhall Glacier, whale watching are two great excursions, Skagway, the White Pass Railroad is a must....
In Ketchikan, the Cultural tour, fishing, shopping....Sitka, not a lot to do....cultural tour with the folk dancers is nice. Just enjoy the beautiful State of Alaska....just being there is worth the trip...

Bob E
Old 03-31-2010, 01:13 PM

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-31-2010, 06:07 PM

In Juneau we took a floatplane to Taku Glacier Lodge. It was pricey, but worth every penny.

I agree with Bob--at Skagway the White Pass RR is a must.

Nadine

Closed Thread

Tags
cons, excursions, pros, ship