Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Alaska Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/)
-   -   Newbie who needs help deciding! (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/alaska-port-chat/13-newbie-who-needs-help-deciding.html)

kj_connections 02-25-2009 06:21 PM

I am considering an Alaskan cruise this June.
I've sailed only to the Caribbean on RCCL, Carnival and NCL. I didn't enjoy NCL's food as much as the other cruise lines. I'm in my mid 20's and I'll be going with my fiance.

What are your thoughts on:

- which is the best cruise line for a 7day cruise?
- should I do a Northbound or Southbound cruise or roundtrip?

gdjoslin 02-25-2009 06:49 PM

I do not know which is best for you, but we like the 7 day roundtrip out of Vancouver.
It saves a lot of airfare. I think you can almost do a BTB and have a 14 day cruise cheaper than you can get airfare.
We really enjoy the HAL cruise from Vancouver, you get the 3 big ports, Tracy's Arm, and Glacier Bay.

Here is a link to the cruise. Hal also has a larger ship doing this cruise, prices are a little cheaper.

f-mattox 02-25-2009 10:03 PM

I think Holland America and Princess are pretty much the acknowledged leaders in the Alaskan cruise market. I am partial to Princess, but very much enjoyed my one HAL cruise.

I agree with Gary about a round-trip cruise from either Vancouver, or from Seattle on Princess--which may save you even more money. I think you see more scenery on the r/t Inside Passage cruise than one that crosses the Gulf; and it saves that long fiight to or from Anchorage and the long bus trip to the port.

Sandy 02-26-2009 12:03 AM

I agree that a round trip cruise is best if you are not planning to do an inland tour in addition to your cruise. If you do plan to do a tour of Denali, Mt. McKinley, etc., I like the southbound cruises where you do the touring first, and then get on the cruise ship.

Sandy

kj_connections 02-26-2009 03:08 PM

Thanks everyone. I won't be considering a one-way cruise now...the flights are way too expensive and way too long! (I'm from Ontario, Canada)

Berick1234 02-26-2009 09:05 PM

The NCL Pearl is a great ship to consider..It goes out of Seattle and does a round trip...I've sailed on her twice and found her to be a very nice ship....I'm planning another Alaska trip next year and will go with the Pearl...Happy Cruising no matter which ship you are on....Heck, you can't but help have a great cruise to Alaska....It's wonderful..

Bob E

gramjali 07-12-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Berick1234:
The NCL Pearl is a great ship to consider..It goes out of Seattle and does a round trip...I've sailed on her twice and found her to be a very nice ship....I'm planning another Alaska trip next year and will go with the Pearl...Happy Cruising no matter which ship you are on....Heck, you can't but help have a great cruise to Alaska....It's wonderful..

Bob E

gramjali 07-20-2009 12:37 PM

we're sailing on the 8/16/09 cruise on Pearl out of Seattle with grandkids 16, 20 and 22. Any particular recommendations these young folk should look for on Pearl?

Berick1234 08-02-2009 07:18 AM

Rock climbing wall, bowling, soccer on the sports deck, basketball, floor hockey, and one day they had Remote Car races...that was a blast....and just plain old sleeping in a deck chair.....It will be a great time...

Bob E