Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 05:21 PM

I am considering an Alaskan cruise this June.
I've sailed only to the Caribbean on RCCL, Carnival and NCL. I didn't enjoy NCL's food as much as the other cruise lines. I'm in my mid 20's and I'll be going with my fiance.

What are your thoughts on:

- which is the best cruise line for a 7day cruise?
- should I do a Northbound or Southbound cruise or roundtrip?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:49 PM

I do not know which is best for you, but we like the 7 day roundtrip out of Vancouver.
It saves a lot of airfare. I think you can almost do a BTB and have a 14 day cruise cheaper than you can get airfare.
We really enjoy the HAL cruise from Vancouver, you get the 3 big ports, Tracy's Arm, and Glacier Bay.

Here is a link to the cruise. Hal also has a larger ship doing this cruise, prices are a little cheaper.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:03 PM
I think Holland America and Princess are pretty much the acknowledged leaders in the Alaskan cruise market. I am partial to Princess, but very much enjoyed my one HAL cruise.

I agree with Gary about a round-trip cruise from either Vancouver, or from Seattle on Princess--which may save you even more money. I think you see more scenery on the r/t Inside Passage cruise than one that crosses the Gulf; and it saves that long fiight to or from Anchorage and the long bus trip to the port.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 PM

I agree that a round trip cruise is best if you are not planning to do an inland tour in addition to your cruise. If you do plan to do a tour of Denali, Mt. McKinley, etc., I like the southbound cruises where you do the touring first, and then get on the cruise ship.

Sandy
Old 02-26-2009, 02:08 PM

Thanks everyone. I won't be considering a one-way cruise now...the flights are way too expensive and way too long! (I'm from Ontario, Canada)
Old 02-26-2009, 08:05 PM
The NCL Pearl is a great ship to consider..It goes out of Seattle and does a round trip...I've sailed on her twice and found her to be a very nice ship....I'm planning another Alaska trip next year and will go with the Pearl...Happy Cruising no matter which ship you are on....Heck, you can't but help have a great cruise to Alaska....It's wonderful..

Bob E
Old 07-12-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Berick1234:
The NCL Pearl is a great ship to consider..It goes out of Seattle and does a round trip...I've sailed on her twice and found her to be a very nice ship....I'm planning another Alaska trip next year and will go with the Pearl...Happy Cruising no matter which ship you are on....Heck, you can't but help have a great cruise to Alaska....It's wonderful..

Bob E
Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 AM

we're sailing on the 8/16/09 cruise on Pearl out of Seattle with grandkids 16, 20 and 22. Any particular recommendations these young folk should look for on Pearl?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Rock climbing wall, bowling, soccer on the sports deck, basketball, floor hockey, and one day they had Remote Car races...that was a blast....and just plain old sleeping in a deck chair.....It will be a great time...

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, cruise, roundtrip