Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Alaska Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 PM

Not sure if it's worth the money. If anyone has any info to pass along that would be great. We have a family of five and that can get quite expensive for one excursion. Still undecided. Thanks
Old 03-30-2007, 08:43 AM

I was also wondering about this excursion. Anyone have any info to offer? Our cruise departs May 28th.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:05 PM
I spoke with someone a few months ago who had flown out to a glacier and rode the dog sled and she said that it was the highlight of their 2 week Alkaska trip. Not sure if it was Skagway or not. She said the if you can afford it, you will not regret it. My wife is sold on taking this excursion so it looks like I'm doing it also!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:43 PM

There won't be any snow when we go at the end of May, but it surely looks like a fun excursion. We saw exerpts on the Travel Channel this past week of dog-sledding done when there was LOTS of snow. We might try to squeeze that in somehow.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:04 PM

The tours in Skagway and Juneau both feature the same ice field, and are very similar. Do the tour in either city, depending which fits your schedule better.

There will be plenty of snow/ice - it's there all the time. Yes, the snow is melting rapidly in town right now, but up on the glaciers, it's always cool and icy.

For the record, you don't mush the sled yourself - you're basically going for a ride, but it's a great ride!

I always tell my family once they've seen a glacier, caght a salmon and had a drink in the Red Dog Saloon, they can say they've "done" Alaska... at least the basics. Getting in a heli or float plane is one of the best ways to see the grand scale of things here.

-Case
Old 05-03-2007, 07:06 PM

One port excursion says that the sledding is on wheels. The other doesn't say but only shows pics with sleds on the snow/ice. Anyone know and can clarify? I really want to do this most of all. We are going in July.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Banned

We just got back from our Alaskan cruise and did the helicopter/dogsleding tour in Juneau. It was unbelievable! Flying over the glaciers and then landing on a private dogsled camp where you ride the dogsled for about 45 minutes was an adventure of a lifetime. You are on an actual dogsled and you can also be one of the actual mushers. The link below is to my on-line photo album with pictures of the trip.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/559114699QRoTvk

I highly recommend this excursion. It is pricey $499 per person, but well worth it.

Have a great trip!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:57 PM

How much is it to do a sledding tour, approximately?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rfujitani:

Hi Ryan,

The ERA helicopter glacier/dogsled tour out of Juneau was $499 per person, booking through Princess. You can probably get online with ERA at www.flightseeingtours.com and get a direct quote from them without going through the cruise line. We took the tour out of Juneau, and they probably offer tours out of other ports. I really recommend taking this tour, it is something you won't forget. One word of caution, if the weather is really bad the flight will be cancelled.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by digdmr:
Originally posted by Rfujitani:

Hi Ryan,

The ERA helicopter glacier/dogsled tour out of Juneau was $499 per person, booking through Princess. You can probably get online with ERA at www.flightseeingtours.com and get a direct quote from them without going through the cruise line. We took the tour out of Juneau, and they probably offer tours out of other ports. I really recommend taking this tour, it is something you won't forget. One word of caution, if the weather is really bad the flight will be cancelled.
Ahh, thanks much.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, dog, dogsledding, excursion, helicopter, juneau, mushing, princess, review, reviews, skagway, sled, sledding, tour, tours